Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not a review, but a future release "hopefully" - Mustang II

Wishing in one hand, and "BLAH-BLAH-BLAH" in the other here - I hope that , should Round2 conjure up a 1974-1978 Mustang II kit in a similar vain as the '68 Coronets , etc. , that they see fit to include a Ford 9" rear for the P/S et al. versions.

6 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Although it is the AMT version, I'd like to see this again also. I do have all the body kit parts and actually failed at trying to cast them. I have a kit I'll use them one day.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Man!

What an Awesome bit of 1970's IMSA Overkill.

I'd buy a bunch of those!

On 2/10/2024 at 10:29 PM, Jon Cole said:

AMT #1369 Mustang II Concept scheduled for reissue. Sometime this year, I presume. 

image.png

Damn I was thinking that was a 74-78 Mustang II kit but that’s cool that they’re reissuing that kit. I think there is some confusion about which Mustang II we’re talking about..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 5:41 AM, vamach1 said:

I managed to put one together from kit and resin parts and aftermarket decals.

IMG_5435.jpeg

What did you do for the window louvers and spoiler? I would love to build Farah’s car from Charlie’s Angels. :) 

8 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

What did you do for the window louvers and spoiler? I would love to build Farah’s car from Charlie’s Angels. :) 

I got those parts from Missing Link resin parts a number of years ago.

• Thanks 1

The MPC King Cobra, white box, yellow car with big flares, green snakes, has the rear spoiler and side window louvres too. The rear louvres from the currently re-released Shelby Charger fit pretty good in the rear window too but will need to be shortened about a quarter inch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, I would go gaga for a Mustang II (the real thing, not the concept car), but I really, REALLY want a notchback! 

The fastback is ugly. the Notchback captures exactly why the Mustang II was the perfect successor to the original; a somewhat tarted-up secretary mobile. 

GO NOTCHBACK Ghia!

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 5:14 AM, Luc Janssens said:

While this car for many Mustang enthusiasts was a low point, I as a kid back then was impressed with it, Go fast stripes must mean it's fast right?!

What also helps is that a friend of my father owned one back when they were new.

But with the mpc kit modified and the amt tool ready to be injected with molten plastic I don't think it's in the stars, would be neat tho, especially if clear headlamps were to be included in the overhaul.

image.png.e5f14329931fba4e3a3f9c88d90f2fd8.png

Great box art, be nice to get this Mustang back!

On 2/12/2024 at 11:47 AM, Sledsel said:

Although it is the AMT version, I'd like to see this again also. I do have all the body kit parts and actually failed at trying to cast them. I have a kit I'll use them one day.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I want this one back!

I hope Round2 is planning on brining it back someday.

Both AMT and MPC kits ran in recent memory, so, if I'm looking at the second half 2024-2025 portfolio, would not be at all surprised to see one (unlikely both) resurface. 

Doubt you would see much in the way of new tooling in the kits, perhaps just some sort of a decal sheet that would line up with current licensing agreements.

I recall being impressed with the AMT '74, which I promptly put to the saw to (try) to make a Funny Car body, which was a miserable failure. Had the IMSA bodied '77, but discovered "perfume and gasoline" before it got very far.

FWIW, my father had Mustang II company cars, a '74 with authentic runs in the Mach 1 blackout, and a black '77 hatch that was really nice, made better by the gutty V8. That was my first street race, which I won. Shudder to think of learning any of my kids would have been that dumb! 

On 3/11/2024 at 9:04 AM, Ragtop Man said:

Both AMT and MPC kits ran in recent memory, so, if I'm looking at the second half 2024-2025 portfolio, would not be at all surprised to see one (unlikely both) resurface. 

Doubt you would see much in the way of new tooling in the kits, perhaps just some sort of a decal sheet that would line up with current licensing agreements.

I recall being impressed with the AMT '74, which I promptly put to the saw to (try) to make a Funny Car body, which was a miserable failure. Had the IMSA bodied '77, but discovered "perfume and gasoline" before it got very far.

FWIW, my father had Mustang II company cars, a '74 with authentic runs in the Mach 1 blackout, and a black '77 hatch that was really nice, made better by the gutty V8. That was my first street race, which I won. Shudder to think of learning any of my kids would have been that dumb! 

The FireFighter needs to be re-run as the Dyno Don Pro Stock. It's just licensing and decals away.

MPC_1-1764a.jpg

• Like 2