Model Cars Magazine Forum

Feather paint edge repairs.

Hi all.

Am making a paint repair on a bodyshell and just need to know if am working correctly and if its worth my time to continue.

The first pic shows a broad yellow stripe that I sprayed on the bumpers and door sills. Then masked off to spray with green.

IMG_20240311_192541.thumb.jpg.a16d303e32d1274b7ba13da6edf98928.jpg

After two coats I realized that dark stripe (the yellow) will always be there. A two tone green effect. And I didn't want to flood the shell in TS paint.

So am repairing as below.

IMG_20240311_192624.thumb.jpg.be06697d4cdb74b96bb8065024af0284.jpg

I've sanded through all the colours down to the primer. Thankfully an easy job with these TS sprays.

IMG_20240311_192636.thumb.jpg.1d7fbd635bc086eec89b47125e96a8f8.jpg

I'm slowly feathering the green edge, fade out that green border.

Then plan to spray the green followed by yellow. I'll do edge to edge masking this time.

But the green repair. Is this how other members have continued? Should i feather the paint even higher up the bodyshell?

I have also a full Micro mesh kit for sanding.

I don't think you need to sand any higher. If the body had a character line you could remove the paint up to that, but being a NASCAR type body, there is no such demarcation.
Once all of the paint is removed from the repair area, you need to paint that area green with the same coverage as the rest of the body. That will be tricky, especially at the feathered edge. Then, the whole car can be given another coat or two, or whatever. A seamless repair may be difficult to achieve. 

Regarding the masking, you can do edge to edge, or paint the whole car one color (green), then paint the second colour. As you have noticed though, the color of the undercoat effects the color of the overcoat, so that has to be considered. 

That's my two cents worth. Others may have better advice. 

Thanks to reply.

The green, it does have orange peel.

So I'll sand that out and more, fade it all over the car then decide if to continue.

Another option I have is a black paint finish.

So, I sanded all over and a good thing too, as primer was still with orange peel, so went down to 4000.

And surprised at how easy the TS green rubbed off using 1200 Euro and how tough the TS primer is. 

IMG_20240320_1857042.thumb.jpg.398184aa2836e0cb688ee63d5a20340c.jpg

From here i'll paint my black option.