Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Help With Truck Interiors

I enjoy reading the model truck section and have learned a lot from those of you who post. This section is by far my favorite. Thank you!

One area that I am struggling with is how the interiors are done so that they look realistic. Are people using photo-etched parts? When I look at the level of detail that is being posted, I know that I cannot do that based upon my current knowledge base.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations that anyone may have.

Thanks!

Edited by Schellj

I enjoy reading the model truck section and have learned a lot from those of you who post. This section is by far my favorite. Thank you!

One area that I am struggling with is how the interiors are done so that they look realistic. Are people using photo-etched parts? When I look at the level of detail that is being posted, I know that I cannot do that based upon my current knowledge base.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations that anyone may have.

Thanks!

Any specific part you're reffering to?

Dashes can be painted(gauges, buttons, etc.) or some kits come with decals you can apply for detail

Details such as clipboards, laptops, magazines and such can be scratchbuilt from raw materials or purchased through aftermarket suppliers.

Some kits as well as suppliers offer decals for uppholstery replication, though not real common.

This is the interior in my PB 378. The dash is a decal supplied with the kit for the gauge and switches detail.

The rest is paint.

P1020903.jpg

Here is a link to Kurts(turbo590) Freightliner. The computer is a cast resin item you can get from the link he supplied. The screen, I believe is a reduce shot of a screen printed on decal paper and applied to this one. The clipboard on the dash is available aftermarket. It has a photo reduced freightliner brochure on it.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16686

I think the best thing is to look at pics of 1:1 vehicles and use your imagination for replicating different details

Here are links to other sites that have alot of talented builders that are always willing to lend a hand.

http://rustycab.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://pete389.proboards.com/index.cgi

Hope this helps. Any other questions, shoot 'em to us, you'll get an answer.

Les

What's goin' on...

First let me ask you this... What type of truck interior are you working on? Truck interors can be just about anything. It all boils down to the driver. Is he/she clean and cares about his/her enviorment or a pig of a slob?

Next is the type of truck. If the truck you're detailing is going to be an Over The Road truck (CR England) in the bunk you'll find the things a driver would need to survive on the road. Obviously clothes, smaller appliences(fridge,TVdvd player game console,laptop, a qualcom console, CB, a breif case,hat,boots/shoes, blanket/pillow, books,magizines, hobby related interests,. Inside those would be a fairly clean rubber mat. Up front in the cab a log book, permit binder,maps/truck atlas,coffee cup,carton of cigarettes/packs. In the storeage compartment you'll find a case w/ the three orange reflective triangles maybe a small tool box, some work boots the driver keeps out of the cab (could be muddy or road oil or filth from a factory.)

In a line haul day cab (Yellow Frieght Lines) The cab would be fairly basic. Inside you'd find a portable CB brief case,log book,book/magazine, pack of smokes,coffee cup, fast food bags/cup clean uniform (work shirt/pants for an over nighter at a hotel possibly. Mainly the things a driver would need to driver from terminal to terminal or from the terminal to make deliveries.

Something different like a local on/off road truck beit a logging company,dump truck/trailer,trash hauler, and so on. You'd find the same things as a line haul truck but the interior floor will certainly have dried mud on it. The filth will come from where the driver has to tarp his/her trailer at the transfer station and untarp it at the land fill getting in and out of the truck in mud snow and dirt or if he she has to chain/unchain a load of logs or climb in the dump and manually shove/lbreak free some dirt that didn't dump out.

Or if truck is a large car that belongs to an Owner Operator you'll find alot of the amenitties (sp) that an OTR driver would have but in the back of that bunk would be more like an upscale apartment. Les the MountainDewd can help ya out w/ that!!!

Now to make the above mentioned details just take a little creativity. There are accessories for models you can get from Detail Master,Model Car Garage, and some of the smaller aftermartket companies such as KFS,SourKout, and so on have things you can use. (I haven't bought anything from these guys YET).

Good Luck!!!

Here's some interior pics from a few of my projects.

2835255886_2d4e7ceefb_o.jpg

2997301080_bfc1f11bea.jpg2234265427_c9362cea42_o.jpg2333399729_2e3ea7253e_o.jpg2269951908_840c4513ea.jpg