Model Cars Magazine Forum

Window tint

Does anyone have any tips on using the window tint spray from model master, can't seem to get it right. Other suggestions welcome thanks, Mike

hey Mike <_<

Just did a windshield yesterday with the Model Master window tint.

Knowing that this is an alcohol based product helps a lot. Can say's lacquer, just like Alclad say's lacquer - THEY LIE - WHO KNOWS WHY :D:P .

All you gotta do is smell the product's to tell.

I spray one very light coat in three over-lapping passes, and if it has a gloss, that's it.

If not, I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol standing by, and I just put some on a kleenex tissue and wipe away and "Do over". Works great..... ;) .

Don't use lacquer thinner, as it will melt and eat into your glass.

Took me about 6 tries to get it right this time- dust mostly, or too much tint.

Remember to tape off the other side so over-spray doesn't spoil a great job.

If you have a spare clear piece, use it as a test sample and practice on it.

Have fun.

Hope this helps - dave :lol:

Edited by Treehugger Dave

hey Mike <_<

Just did a windshield yesterday with the Model Master window tint.

Knowing that this is an alcohol based product helps a lot. Can say's lacquer, just like Alclad say's lacquer - THEY LIE - WHO KNOWS WHY :P:blink: .

All you gotta do is smell the product's to tell.

I spray one very light coat in three over-lapping passes, and if it has a gloss, that's it.

If not, I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol standing by, and I just put some on a kleenex tissue and wipe away and "Do over". Works great..... :D .

Don't use lacquer thinner, as it will melt and eat into your glass.

Remember to tape off the other side so over-spray doesn't spoil a great job.

If you have a spare clear piece, use it as a test sample and practice on it.

Have fun.

Hope this helps - dave ;)

Dave, thanks for the tip I can't way to try again :lol:

I'm glad that you said that, because this has happend to me every time I have tried to tint windows so I just about gave up on it until I read your comment. I have painted a lot of candy and thought the process would be similar, but spraying transparent paint on a transparent surface obviously doesn't allow for any kind of error whatsoever. I guess I just have to have more patience with it.

Another way to do it is to use "RIT" fabric dye. It comes in a whole lot of colors. You dissolve the dye in boiling water, then dip the clear parts into it. The longer you keep the parts in the dye, the darker the "glass" will get. Kinda like dying Easter eggs!

Obviously you don't want to put the kit glass directly into boiling water... let the water cool a bit. The big upside to this technique is that you're actually dying the plastic, not painting it, so there's no problem with runs or dust getting imbedded into your tinted windshield, like when using sprays.

Another way to do it is to use "RIT" fabric dye. It comes in a whole lot of colors. You dissolve the dye in boiling water, then dip the clear parts into it. The longer you keep the parts in the dye, the darker the "glass" will get. Kinda like dying Easter eggs!

Obviously you don't want to put the kit glass directly into boiling water... let the water cool a bit. The big upside to this technique is that you're actually dying the plastic, not painting it, so there's no problem with runs or dust getting imbedded into your tinted windshield, like when using sprays.

Thanks Harry! I've been trying to think of a way to tint some glass for a model kit that I'm building. I thought about using spray paint, but it has it's drawbacks.

How long do you let it sit and cool off?

Thanks again, I'll definitely give it a try.

Wow Harry! RIT dye... Never thought of that! I was thinking of trying something out- painting the edges of the glass with the desired color and seeing if it transmitts the whole color through the glass, or atleast at certain angles. But that dye trick is just wonderful. I will definately have to give that a go, because I don't have an airbrush and as far as I know they don't sell a spray-bomb tint to look like factory greenish glass.

• 2 weeks later...

I use real window tint film...I bought a roll at Wal-Mart for, like 10 bucks...ans that roll will last me several lifetimes!

I cut off a piece to fit, peel off the backing layer, and SLOWLY apply it to the kit glass, a little at a time, using firm pressure and being very careful not to get air bubbles trapped under the tint.

Not the best pic, but the rear window of my GTO Judge here is tinted with window tint film:

P1020833.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another source for window tint can be found in the R/C section of a well stocked hobby store.

DAHM'S WINDOW TINT:

DAHMStint-vi.jpg

It won't work on compound curved windows (unless you heat and stretch it?) it is a rather firm tinted clear plastic-type material, and quite sticky adhesive. It needs to be applied to the outside of the window.

It's quite dark, but in the photo below, it seems light because of the white background

ORANGEWOODY1-vi.jpg