Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wide-Bodied Toyota MR2

FujimiLover

I don't think it's the body as I've messed with it quite alot to get it the way it is now. As I look at the chassis alone, the right wheel is definetly off a bit. I'll post a pic of it later to show you. I know this cause the axle was difficult to insert through the disk brake.

What do you think of my color choice? :P

Well, while waiting for D. O. G. to come back in from being outside, I did some work on the body kit. I have a package of Evergreen sheet styrene in 0.25 mm thickness. Very easy to cut to shape and conform to the curvature's needed here.

DSC09452.jpg

DSC09453.jpg

DSC09454.jpg

I used thick CA glue to glue the peice's in place, then I used gap-filling glue to fill in the remaining gaps.

I'll need to do the front's next, what you think so far?

Edited by FujimiLover

Is it me or does the transaxle look a wee bit off? Either way, you might take a drill bit the same size as the hole the axle runs through and use it like a saw. With light pressure towards the left rear, run it back and forth in the hole. This will oblong the hole a little and allow the axle to relax to the rear moving the left tire/wheel back. Just a thought.

Les

Nice job so far. Are those the kit supplied tires and wheels? I have a set of those and have wondered what kit to put them on. I've had them for years now (since the early 90's?) As of yet I still dont have a kit to put them on. They came in a Fujimi wheel package -"Porsche OZ wide", or something like that.

I'll keep an eye on this one to see how it turns out .

Later-

yes these wheels came with the kit. Fujimi had many cars in this style with various ultra-wide wheels.

Just finished the front's.

DSC09458.jpg

I'm not sure what filler to use for the final-touches. I did get my hands on Milliput, but I want to save that for more severe projects like the Veilside MR2. Not sure what to use for minor filling's like here. Will the Squadron green putty be good for this? I've heard it shrinks. I dont have access to Tamiya's putty.

Should I use Milliput here anyway? I just need a tiny bit of putty to make the edges more redefined here.

Yes, the axle is some what off and I think it happned when I was making the right side suspension, brake system. I hadn't noticed it with the Veilside wheels as they were much, much narrower.

Okay, this body is screaming at me that it needs two thing's. Both of which will test my scratch-building skills. First, it needs a set of KS-style mirrors. Second, it needs one of those very cool looking over the roof "snorkal" air-intake's that alot of these mid-engine cars seem to have. Surely you know what I'm talking about. Not the AWD, off-roading mudding about snorkal's, no. I mean the ones these cars have for cooling down either the turbo or supercharger.

These are what I'm talking about, but I want my own style.

MR2intakes.jpg

I plan on having theme come up from these vents here

DSC09459.jpg

So, I'll start by making a base the same exact shape dimensions as these vents and build up from that. I'll be useing plastic that I have from an old for-sale sign for the base and side walls, and I'll use much, much thinner plastic for the top and bottom halves as the thinner plastic will take the curvatures of the side walls. As this will be my first scratch-built air intake, I'll probably be making several prototypes till I have a shape that suits the car.

Edited by FujimiLover

hey fujimilover, i do know that TRD(toyota racing development) made a one side snorkel but looks different that pic! and i do know that TOM's(a japan tuning company) made a set of snorkels for there special mr2's!

give me a little bit and i will try to find pics of the mr2's i am talking about!

Thank you Kuztom, the snorkals are proving to be more difficult than I imagined. I got the base plate done, but building the side walls is proving trickier because of the bends I want. I don't want it to be a stright up cube like a building's air-ducts. LOL!

Here is the base-plate and the two sides.

DSC09460.jpg

The two sides are not perfectly matched yet, it may take several attempts. What I want to do, is bend the top's torwards the center so that the opening "which will lie ontop of the roof" will be shorter than the base. I'm not sure how to achieve this inward bend with these two peices.

Here is the base-plate sitting on the car.

DSC09461.jpg

your welcome, i got the pics already, but my photobucket won't load for some reason!

and sweet idea on the air scoops! kind of the style that is on the ford rs200?

and practice makes perfect! ;);)

as soon as my photobucket loads i will post the pics!

I can't recall the style on the Ford, but I'm just going by my own creation here and hopefully make something that will look good. It might not succeed so dont' get your hopes up on this idea. But the way the rest of the car is, it does scream for something like this doesn't it?

Wish there was another kit that had one of these that I can borrow from. I think Fujimi makes the older MR2 with one of these snorkal's, but some how, I doubt it will suit this car as this is more rounded than the 1st gen MR2. Kind of wish the Veilside MR2 had one but it didn't. ;)

Edited by FujimiLover

Those intakes you have on your RSX aren't far off from the ones on my Koenig Specials Testarossa! Those intakes on that MR2 are the only ones I have found for this generation as well. I would have no idea how in the heck to make those! This idea is going down the drain fast. Rest of the car will still kick-azz though! ;)

By the way, I think I feel burnt from doing the last four models as I've been absolutelty LAZY this weekend and don't feel any rush whatsoever on this project. I'm also too buisy mentally designing my Smonda for the drift-off!

Edited by FujimiLover

well i can't find any pics of the lambo scoop but here is the ford rs200!

1986_Ford_RS200Evolution1.jpg

One of my favorites! Are there any good model kit's of this car in street-form? I never cared for the rally-style version. But the street version is freaking awesome! And yes, one of these was in the latest F&F movie, but we only saw it for a brief second.

Those scoops do look cool, but I'd need a picture of the car from the rear to get a better idea of those scoops. Remember, while one set might look good on one car, it might not look good on another. I need something that suits this one.

I decided to open up my package of Milliput. I've never used this stuff before and the instructions sais to take off a tiny peice from each stick, mold'em together and play with it to get a feel for it's behavior.

DSC09462.jpg

Isn't this the same stuff they advertise on tv where they fix a handle on a coffee cup and make a chain-link?

Anyway, I'm considering useing this to mold the snorkal instead of scratch-building one out of plastic.

My first attempt at molding it into the shape of the snorkal. I decided to go ahead with the traditional MR2 shape as I've got these great pictures here that were provided by Kuztommodels. Thank you very much!

DSC09463.jpg

I'm sure I'll be making a few more of these till I get the perfect shape.

Question about Milliput, can you add onto it once the original peice has hardened?

Edited by FujimiLover

Some more shaping of the snorkal. And I mounted it on the base I made from plastic. Seems to take a while to harden, but it's getting there.

DSC09464.jpg

Some pic's of it on the car. This will take some time to get it EXACTLY like the MR2 snorkal's. I'd like to find a picture of where the snorkal actually mounts to the engine lid. Where I've got it located right now, it's resting ontop of the vent.

DSC09465.jpg

DSC09466.jpg

DSC09467.jpg

DSC09468.jpg

No thank you, but I would like to find more pictures of the MR2's snorkal's particularly where it meets the engine lid. I'd like to know how to make mine more exact to this model. Looking at the shape of the snorkal, it doesn't look like it covers the entire vent area like mine does. It look's alot thinner, so where and how does it meet? What's the shape of the base and the way it attaches to the vent?