Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Malibu LowRider

I had this body laying around with a few bits and pieces, and somewhere last week I thought I could use some practice material for my paint-ideas. So I started on the body, laid down primer and mulitcoats of colors.

I ended up for my idea with a decent first paintjob, since all my other paintjobs were either solid colors or just bi-color. This one asked more creativity.

However, I am not satisfied, i laid down some too thick coats of paint and the worst thing that happend is, that the paint got teared off together with the masking tape, mostly on the hood.

Now what I do? Should I continue without doing anything to the damage, should I try to repaint it? Even though I made my own colours, should I repaint it with a completely different color? or should I discard the project?

Please give me your opinions

65malibu001.jpg

65malibu006.jpg

65malibu035.jpg

65malibu036.jpg

65malibu037.jpg

65malibu038.jpg

65malibu039.jpg

Edited by Erik Olijnsma

Hello there friend!! Hope all is well bro.. As for the dileema at hand I would mos-def throw G.Seeds a PM this fella is wicked with the patterns and how-to techs. I have done patterns and fades on 1:1's however never tried on models. One thing that does come in mind is planning and the actual application of the paint. I practice on old damaged and disguarded models for trial runs like this. Also keep in mind using several colors will require to take yer time applying the paint in light to mist coats. Im no master fella but from experience comes the know-how. All in all you stay cool on the other side.. Give Mr'Seeds a shout.

paz

Tito

Hey! thanks, yeah, things are ok. Very busy with my job ( in debt-consultancy ) and getting my G/F to the Netherlands and get the wedding done.

How are you doing now?

Thanks for the advice, I did throw Gseeds a pm and now hoping he is willing to send me a message back with some explanation ;)

And I need to remember that of the mist coats, I usually do a few mists and then try to cover it, but as I noticed, that makes it too thick. I guess this kind of painting needs a lot of practising.

Also, what I am really having difficulty with is making 'boxes' on the car, like a window. Does one use masking-film for that? Since I can't see how one can do that with tape. So far I only have done straight lines, but I also want to make nice panels on it

I will try to find a example