Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paddy Wagon Show Rod question

paddy_wagon_casper_big.jpg

Finally, there's one other "Paddy Wagon" to discuss _ the MPC kit of the Carl Casper-built show car. The kit was released in 1968 _ the same year the Monogram Paddy Wagon was first issued, coincindentally. This is by far the most desirable of the three. To my knowledge, it has never been reissued (How 'bout it, Round 2?), and is quite rare.

I just did an evilBay search and found two Casper Paddy Wagons listed _ one a beautifully built example, the other a sealed-inside mint kit. The built model had a starting bid of $29; the unbuilt $220. I personally think $220 is way too high; it'll be interesting to see if anyone bites on it.

I remember hearing that Stevens Int had looked into reissuing the kit a few years ago, but they found out the tooling wasn't complete. Part of this kit did end up in MPC's C-Cab "Outcast" showrod, which can be used to help restore an old gluebomb of the Casper car (although unfortunately some of those parts were the brass plated ones in the Casper car -- and in the Outcast, they're bare plastic).

And FWIW, AMT had their Paddy Wagon, a dual kit where you could build a complete Model T if you wanted (their Paddy Wagon was also known as the Cop-Out -- no relation to Monogram's kit of the same name, of course!)