Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing old paint

SignMan22

Just want some input on stripping paint from old models using Super Clean....any advise?

Well, I don't know about advice, but I've never had any trouble using it on plastic bodies, etc. It will help breakdown glue bonds occassionally and some putties! I've been successful on stripping resin pieces, but you need to 'mother hen' those cuz it can soften the resin.

Good luck!!

TimP

I use an old plastic bin with a cover .I fill it up and place large parts directly into the bin for small parts a ziplock bag placed in the bin(like they do with fish) is useful as small parts can be hard to find in the purple pond. also a pair of rubber gloves and safety glasses is highly recommended.after soaking over night use an old toothbrush to remove the paint . after you have removed all the old paint then rinse it with warm water. that old toothbrush will spatter stuff in directions you can't anticpate which is what the safety glasses are for . some times the paint won't come off no matter how long you soak it so an alternative stripper will have to be used .also not all the paint will always come off and my experience has been that a second soaking is not very effective.this stuff will last quite a long time in the covered bin ,you will know when it is time to replace it. I also haven't noticed a benefit to straining out the old paint if it isn't working it is time to replace. hope this gets you pointed in the right direction .

Edited by randx0