Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mecom racing colors from MCW

Looking through MCW's catalog, I found some different colors for Mecom team cars. They have the following listed:

Lola T-70 Mecom - 6003 blue met. (also listed for the Corvette Grand Sport)

Mecom Scarab - 5817 lt. blue met.

Scarab (non-Mecom) - 5622 blue met.

Does anyone have pics of their builds painted with any these colors? Thanks!

Were the Lola T70s and the GS Corvettes a different color from the Mecom scarab? I have the GS & T70 referenced as 1960 Cadillac Pelham Blue.

Hi There Janeston

I'm guessing you have access to the formulas for the different OEM colors so I'd wonder just how much difference is there between the two Caddy Colors. Any idea?

Ed

Ed: After a bit of snooping around online. It looks like the difference in colors is minimal at best.

Brian: It looks like (using the MCW numbering system) the T70 & GS color is the '60 Cadillac Pelham Blue, and the Mecom Scarab color is the '59 Argyle Blue. The non Mecom scarabs are '56 Cadillac Bahama Blue.

Here are pics of a Cadillac painted in the Argyle Blue. http://www.modelcarsonline.com/Galleries/G...o%20Hardtop.htm

Okay, actually... I have been doing research as I am beginning the #004 Grand Sport in it's 1964 Sebring colors which is Mecom blue. In my research and talking with everyone, it appears this is the scoop. Steve at VRM was very helpful in this information:

The Caddy blue called Pelham blue poly is what is usually attributed with Mecom blue. It came out in Spring of '59 for the 1960 cars so this is some of the confusion about the year. The Mecom blue is a modified Pelham blue (per Mecom, themselves). VRM will be coming out with it's color line which will have Mecom blue. That being said, the color difference appears to be minimal and only the severely anal (like me) will even be affected by it... Unless you fall into that category, Caddy Pelham blue should be fine... I found it locally for about $15 for a half pint. The paint shops can even put it in spray cans if you want.