Model Cars Magazine Forum

made my first new guy mistake

ok so ive got the hot metal car trailer i started to build and put the wheels and tires on the suspension backwards.

and i was wandering if theres any way to safely get these off so i can replace the right way.

thanks

depends on what type of glue you used. Tube glue (I know, some still use it), you can dip it in water, place a sheet of wax paper or aluminum foil on freezer floor (important step.....no, make that VERY important step) and put in freezer. If tenax7r or something of the like, you can try re-wetting the area to soften the joint. CA? cut em off, switch them and CA them again.

good luck!

David

Now I have to come up with a FOURTH solution? Just teasin' you.

I remove a set of wheels like this before. I was able to pull out the rim enough to get a screw driver or some metal blade on it to get it out. Also, you can use your dremel, carefully grind off the dome of the pin, slide off the wheel, grab the remaining pin with vise-grips and twist and pull. you can use styrene rod and make your own caps (button caps or other..craft store). Is it a metal pin in a metal hole? might have to grind off the button cap. I put masking tape (with a hole punched in it) over the button when I ground mine off.

Good Luck,

David

I thought that might be the case. If you can pull out on the wheel (or rim, if the wheel comes off) toward you to try and get the pin to come out just a little bit, you might can get a pair of end nose cutters under the lip of the pin to pull it out. Otherwise, I think you might have to put tape around the surrounding areas and grind the head off the pin.

Is the hole that the pin goes through accessible from the back side? might can use a punch and come in from the back. Could you grind an area of the backside to make the hole accessible?

David