Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama Messerments

stepside83

hi im new to building dios and from looking here and a few other forums, ive started to gather some info and some supplies for a speed/bodyshop i want to build, now my plan is to build it prob with 2 may be 3 stalls, office with a man door windows facing out to a raod if i had one, small bath room and then the wrok area, then out side have enough room to have one or 2 cars waiting there turn to come in and be restored under a tarp or something, im wanting to build it for 1:24 and 1:25 scale models, but i dont know how to figure the messurments out for walls and windows,and man doors and the grage door openings any help here would be great thanks

measure The doors you have around your house or at a nearby garage .if you want to convert that to scale you can do math or buy a scale ruler usually found in the train department at the good old hobby shop.I would recommend going with two stalls vs three ,in most well executed dioramas less is more, meaning you should imply things and let the viewer fill in the blanks.It should tell a story.The exception would be a back drop for taking photos ,but there again you don't want the background to be too busy .there are a couple of good kits to start out a dio like the one described. fujimi makes a garage and tool kit ,estes made a 1/24th garage a few years ago and theres one more that I can't recall at the moment.craft stores like michaels carry diorama kits leaning more towards foliage, water, snow and other ground cover.try to plan as much as possible before starting .take pictures of aspects you want to incorporate. these are ust a few ideas none are set in stone use what you want but make sure you post some pics of your work I look forward to seeing it .Good Luck :)

hey thanks guys on the replies, i checked out the dio kit i could buy, and i think im gonna do that first just to ge a feel for making a dio look real as possible, since it is my first one that looks to be a good one to have and pretty close to what i wanted to build so ill try that and some of the acceriores from that site, i am how ever onna get a scale ruler so when i do try to make my own dio i will have it with me, thanks for the help and if theres any other places i could go and check out dios, or accesories let me know please, for i am new to this side of the hobby and dont know where to get that stuff thanks again

hey thanks guys on the replies, i checked out the dio kit i could buy, and i think im gonna do that first just to ge a feel for making a dio look real as possible, since it is my first one that looks to be a good one to have and pretty close to what i wanted to build so ill try that and some of the acceriores from that site, i am how ever onna get a scale ruler so when i do try to make my own dio i will have it with me, thanks for the help and if theres any other places i could go and check out dios, or accesories let me know please, for i am new to this side of the hobby and dont know where to get that stuff thanks again

Scale Equipment Limited

Larry G Scale

o wow thanks i was wondering if you could give me an idea on how it worked like all the small numbers at teh beging and stuff ive never used a cale ruler before thanks

This rulers give values in feet and inches. When scratch building mark off the pieces in using the 1:1 values in feet and inches. The first 4 scale feet in the ruler also have inch measure ment as well, hence the 3,6 &9 's.

Personally when I scratch buiold I use 1mm = 1 inch. Measure the 1:1 in inches and mark out the piece in millimetres. that gives a scale of 25.4:1 which works for 1/25 and most 1/24thscale stuff as well.

thanks

Carl

This rulers give values in feet and inches. When scratch building mark off the pieces in using the 1:1 values in feet and inches. The first 4 scale feet in the ruler also have inch measure ment as well, hence the 3,6 &9 's.

Personally when I scratch buiold I use 1mm = 1 inch. Measure the 1:1 in inches and mark out the piece in millimetres. that gives a scale of 25.4:1 which works for 1/25 and most 1/24thscale stuff as well.

thanks

Carl

what he said

just measure your real lif object and build it in MM instead of inches

so lets say your door is 8 foot wide, that is 8 X 12 = 96 inches

then you build your diodoor 96 mm long (around 4 inches very roughly)

Guest Gramps-xrds

If you want things in 1/25 scale there's 2 simple measurements to remember and you can scale anything. If you don't have a dial or digital caliper get one you'll need one to do any dio work. The 2 measurements are .040 = 1 in. and .480= 1 ft. With these 2 you can scale anything in 1/25th scale. Standard exterior doors are 36x80 not 84. Interior doors are usually 32x80. Walls are 8ft on the inside, the out side will vary some depending on how the sill and floor is constructed.You don't need any special scale ruler, just some simple math.

ok thanks guys for all your help if anyone knows of any where else i can get dio stuff like doors or figures shop tolls or even dios them selves let me know im gonna build my own thats for sure i just might start out with one that all i have to do is put together and then make it mine, after 1 or2 of those ill try my own i think, thanks again for all the in put