Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Pontiac Firebird Turbo Trans-Am

Last year I got a kit from the USA, which was started, but promised to be still restorable and make something nice out of it.

When it came in, I started disassemble the engine and try to get rid of the paint. Which was a hard job, I lost interest and the kit went to the background.

But two weeks ago I felt the urge for a big scale again and repacked myself, started on working on getting the parts cleaned up.

I started with the engine, got rid of the paint, got rid of the chrome on the valve-covers and filled the gaps. Then I made me some 'Corporate Blue' paint and sprayed the engine. After that I started on the parts and so far, I basically cleaned all the parts. Now it is time to work on them, sand them, make them look good and spray them in the right color.

Box:

turbota001.jpg

The engine as it came:

turbota002.jpg

The rest of the kit

turbota003.jpg

The start of restoring

turbota004.jpg

turbota005.jpg

The rest of the engine parts

turbota006.jpg

Getting rid of the joint-lines

turbota007.jpg

turbota008.jpg

turbota009.jpg

Edited by Erik Olijnsma

Thanks for the reply's!

Rodney, I didn't say you promised me anything, the kit itself promised to be worthy to be build. Except for the engine, everything was in good nick.

William, now you know ;-) there are a few more in 1/8, but I wish there were some more, like a Superbird or any '70's Mopar.

If you want a very nice engine for the Deuce; check the Lindberg dragster kit. Comes with front-mounted charger, top-mounted charger and a few carb setup's. The kit comes with two engines, so you don't even have to waste a kit.