Model Cars Magazine Forum

A WEATHERING TIDBIT

I'm sure this has already been posted before but it was recommended to me by a man that just does super weathering jobs and has a couple examples on you tube when you get time to chek them out (how to rust a model car)any way he referred me to a product I just love better than the first alternatives we had and it is called Sophisicted Finishes.This stuff works fantasticit enables you to rust,bronze,patina,dirty,and mix things up for a very realistic piece when your finished,I will try to submit some pics in a couple days for an example,these can be found at Micheals craft store and are around 15.00 to 20.00 a package,more to come,thanks,Randy

Sophisticated Finishes is the brand name; the product is called "Instant Rust." I'm another big fan of it, and one of the first to post on the boards about it, after discovering it on a routine trip to Michaels. Here's a recent thread with pics:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26078&st=0&p=247252&hl=rust&fromsearch=1&#entry247252

And one of my Fotki folders with a few pics as well:

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/my_model_cars/model-railroad-projects/

Sophisticated Finishes is the brand name; the product is called "Instant Rust." I'm another big fan of it, and one of the first to post on the boards about it, after discovering it on a routine trip to Michaels. Here's a recent thread with pics:

http://www.modelcars...=1&#entry247252

And one of my Fotki folders with a few pics as well:

http://public.fotki....lroad-projects/

Are you the same fellow that has the YOU TUBE VIDEO'S,and occasionally sells on Evilbay.......

Thanks for the heads-up on this product guys!

Oh, and mustangman; is that your GT in your avatar? If so, nice Fox!

Bradley,

She'd be mine paid for LOL,I have pics on my Fotki of some of the work I have done to her,even after the littl ding ding she's all metal 302 punched out to 306 E303 FRPP Cam,GT 40 heads,Cobra polished Alum intake,way too much to mention and my daily driver at that,thanks for the complimnent,means alot,Randy

The gray pasty substance that you apply first contains actual iron shavings, which react to the chemical agent in the second stage. What that means is that whatever surface you use this product on will continue to rust over time. In fact, my model looks substantially different today than it did when this pic was taken several years ago.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the gray stuff is still paint, so it can be stripped quite easily if need be. I agree that it does keep rusting, and my rusted models also have 'matured' over time.

It works great. I used it on this ...

rustrod2.jpg

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you're working with actual rust, not a simulation of it. The gray pasty substance that you apply first contains actual iron shavings, which react to the chemical agent in the second stage. What that means is that whatever surface you use this product on will continue to rust over time. In fact, my model looks substantially different today than it did when this pic was taken several years ago.

I would really like to know how you can post your pic like this,Ive had nothing but problems since I joined and can only post to the gallery,doesn't matter if I try to obtain them from my Fotki or my computer,I wanted to post a WIP but finally just gave up,loks nice............