Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 ford truck questions

ok I'm a GM and Dodge fella so I'm building my 2000 issue AMT '53 Ford F100 the one with the light blue truck on the box and I have some questions,

1.) how do you paint the dash and interior? Like is thhere body color stuff or?

2.) what color is a '53 Flathead?

3.) does anyone have a good underhood picture of a stock '53 ford with the flathead?

Nick, most of the interior metal parts were the same color as the outside. this would include the inner door panels, Dash, back of the cab. steering wheel, column and support were gloss black. the floor had a semi-gloss black rubber mat. references i have show the seat to be grey vinyl and the kick panels in front of the doors a similar color.

the AMT and old Monogram kits do not include any interior door panels. that detail is simply engraved into the inside of the body.

the flathead engine color again by my resources is red for '53 with gloss black air cleaner and oil filters.

probably the best place for reference pics is Ebay motors. pics of '53 Ford trucks for sale there can be a very good resource to use. i know that Ed Shaver is a huge fan of these trucks too and he may be able to help you as well. if he doesn't respond, you may try sending him a PM with your questions.

Dave

Thanks Dave, before I start painting can someone verify Dave's words, I just don't want to screw it up

here is a link ot a 1:1 '53 for sale currently on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-Ford-F-100-Flathead-V-8-Original-Paint_W0QQitemZ220555153584QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item335a1c90b0

take note that this truck has what appears to be dark green paint on it's supposedly original engine. it also has some upholstered door panels which i'm not sure are stock as we ll as a recovered seat. the seller does say that the original upholstery under the seat cover appears to be red too. not sure why Ford would have offered a red seat in a blue truck, but it's possible and does make for a nice color combination. one of my printed sources of information is a book called "Fords of the Fifties" by Micheal Parris. if you still question what the correct colors are for different components i'd again suggest you contact Ed as he seems to be quite knowledgeable on the subject of 50's Ford trucks and owns a 1:1 as well.

Dave

thanks Dave. you've been super helpful

Hey Nick the 53 kit is a blast I did that one in light blue with the welding stuff and a replaced fender once. I checked a site I love and it was not good on the 53 but a VERY useful site for reference is http://www.dupontregistry.com/ High end auto trader and they normally have multiple pics of almost any subject you can look for.

take note that this truck has what appears to be dark green paint on it's supposedly original engine.

Dave

Per the book "Ford at Fifty", commercial truck engines in '53 were green. Passenger car engines were orange. (It's one of the few color pictures in this book).

Gary