Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Chevelle

RTK434

I started on this kit some years back. I had got some of the chassis mods and the roll cage built and that was about it. Since I'm building a car that would be legal to run in drag radial the rear frame rails have been notched but remain in the stock location. I then installed some mimi tubs and removed the stock gas tank. I then added some bracing to the rear frame as well as the under car tubes needed for the car to have a 25.5 chassis cert that is needed to go quicker than 8.50. Over the past few days I cut out the inner fenders from the body, fabbed a new radilator support filled the top of the frame rails and did some work on the interior. On to the pics.

67chevelle001.jpg

67chevelle010.jpg

67chevelle012.jpg

67chevelle004.jpg

67chevelle014.jpg

A few more. Thanks for looking!

67chevelle015.jpg

67chevelle019.jpg

67chevelle018.jpg

67chevelle020.jpg

That's looking real nice Jeff! I like all of the work you've done to the chassis and the roll cage. Are you planning on making a 4 link for the rear? Also where did you source the rear tires from?

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

No 4 link for this one. Drag radial cars have to run stock style suspension. A typical drag radial A or G body will have tubular upper and lower control arms and an anti roll bar. Most rules allow coil overs but not everyone runs them. My 1:1 drag radial camaro has all bolt in replacement parts and still runs the stock coil springs. The tires are some old good year blue streaks from the parts box. I'm going to cut some tread into them to look like a Mickey Thompson drag radial.

I hope to post more pictures later tonight.

Small update. Got some paint on the chassis and front suspension. I used krylon semi flat on the chassis and testors gunmetal metalizer on the control arms. I added a set of parts box calipers and rotors to the front. The radiator support was painted hondurus maroon which will be the body color. The scirroco style radiator and 1 gallon fuel cell for the nitrous fuel system are from the parts box as well.

67chevelle023.jpg

67chevelle024.jpg

67chevelle025.jpg

67chevelle026.jpg

Actually Jody, that's REALLY a Chevy with Pontiac Valve covers on itlaugh.gif ! RT, that lil Chevelle is REALLY comein out NICE!!! Please keep us posted on this bad boy!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

Yes, the mean n nasty camaro and all of the other simular pro street camaro chassis and engine are indentical to those in the STP Firebird and any other simuLAR FIREBIRDS. qUITE FUNNY INDEED! jODY

• 6 months later...

I finally took a break from the 1:1 race car a.k.a.money pit to get a little work done on this. Body is in primer and a little more progress has been made on the chassis. Here's a few quick pics i snapped tonight while I was working. Thie is my first real departure from a pretty much box stock build so its taking awhile. Thanks for looking.

67chevelle035-1.jpg

67chevelle034.jpg

67chevelle033.jpg

67chevelle032-1.jpg

Edited by RTK434

first off this is lookin sweet....

secondly thanks for sharin it i now have a good idea for the cage in my 69 charger 10.5 outlaw ..with a resin pro stock B1..and a 9in cowl hood .. B):huh:

cant waite to see this one finished..

Edited by mopar01lee