Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Bel Air Pro Street

Mooneyzs

Hello All,

Just wanted to share one of my builds from a while ago (12 years ago or so) with all of you. This kit started out with AMT's '62 Bel Air and I turned it into a Pro Street. This Kit took 6 months to build and was painted with PPG DCU basecoat/clearcoat with custom mixed colors.

PlasticModels0031-vi.jpg

Description of everything I did.

PlasticModels0461-vi.jpg

The whole car

PlasticModels0421-vi.jpg

If you take a look you can see the 5 point seat belt harness's from Cover Shot Models

PlasticModels0241-vi.jpg

The Engine bay with steel braided lines along with turned aluminum fittings that were painted to look like earls or russel fittings.

PlasticModels0371-vi.jpg

This is all paint not decals. I layed down the turquose down first taped out the pattern for the lavender, then sponged the purple over the lavender

PlasticModels0321-vi.jpg

Dash

PlasticModels0491-vi.jpg

I had cut out the trunk and hinged it. Scratch build the fuel cell and fuel pump. the trunk is also carpeted.

PlasticModels0341-vi.jpg

the under carriage. the Back half (the tubs) were from a 1967 Chevelle pro street kit that was grafted into the 62 Bel air chassis

PlasticModels0801-vi.jpg

This project made it into Car Modeler at the NNL West back in 1998 which I was very proud and honored that they wanted to take pics of this car.

PlasticModels0811-vi.jpg

The cover date of the Car Modeler issue.

Edited by Mooneyzs

That is a fantastically detailed model. With all of that detail and precision the missing fuel cell hold down straps really stand out.

Thanks for the compliments. I guess when I was 19 I really wasn't thinking too much about the Hold down straps at the time. It never dawned on me back then to put them on but now that you pointed that out I think I will add them to the kit. ;)

What a coincidance...I was just looking at that mag this week end,and that'un jumped out at me....NICE job !

Thanks what a small world lol. I actually pulled some old Scale Auto magazine's out of my shed from like 1991 to 1993 looking at them today while watching the daytona 500 haha

Awesome job! So many little details, it's hard to notice them all with just one glance. That's why I'm looking a third time :D

Thanks Nails, back when I did this kit years ago this was the most detailed I had ever done on a model. Which it inspired me to do another very detailed pro street which was kind of started but has been on the back burner for some time. I am sure I will get this other pro street project working on again soon, I have about a dozen other projects going on and just trying to focus on a couple at a time. But what modeler never has multipule projects going on at once...lol :lol:

Spyder thanks, I really appreciate the compliments

Sevee.... No worries at all about your post. I know its hard to tell the tone of when something is posted and you are just reading it, you know. I appreciate the compliments. I am thinking to myself now how the heck did I over looked the detail of not having the straps on the tank to hold it down lol I kind of feel stupid about it haha :D