Model Cars Magazine Forum

mobeius lonestar imfo at tower hobbies, not mega hobby.

Cat had a disastrous PR problem when their 2007 on-highway engines had multiple failures. Even with plenty of real-world testing before the release of the engines, they had plenty of problems. A Cat equipped 2007-2010 truck has less of a resale value than one with a Cummins or Detroit. After spending large sums of money repairing/replacing the early '07 emission engines, Cat felt it was less costly and in their best interest to the company in the long term to exit the on-highway engine market than to engineer the needed changes for the 2010 emissions.

The '07 engine problems effectively squashed their reputation.

Cat and Navistar have an agreement for Cat branded equipment in the future, supposedly vocation trucks. Time will tell.

Tim

thanks for the imfo, the lonstar kit with the new mann engine will be a great kit. i bet it will have great detail. thats to bad CAT no longer makes on-hiway engines. wonder why? :D

thats to bad CAT no longer makes on-hiway engines. wonder why? :D

They can't build an on highway engine to meet the new emission standards. The new standards have put EGR valves and a catalytic converter style "particulate filter" in the exhaust plus lowered the PPM (parts per million) of sulfur in the fuel to 15 PPM from 500 PPM. That's why, if you have a gas station near you that also sells diesel fuel, you will see a sticker that says "Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel-Must use in 2007 model year and later vehicles and safe for use in pre 2007 vehicles", or some close to that. Cat made engines that run on the new fuel, but I think they could not reduce the NO2 (nitrous dioxide) levels low enough for highway usage. By the way, the new 15 PPM fuel STINKS!! I have this 1990 Ford F350 with the non turbo 7.3 Liter Diesel:

HPIM1527.jpg

My fuel mileage dropped until I started using additives to boost the cetane (like octane in gas) levels, and it no longer blows the cool diesel black smoke ("black coal" as us truckers call it) when I get into it! It is also much harded to start in the winter, note the cord going in the grille for the block heater in the pic, if I don't plug it in, she don't go!