Model Cars Magazine Forum

I stretched the frame on this Ford LTL 9000. I don't have very detailed pics, but I do have a few.

HPIM1690.jpg

HPIM1689.jpg

The white area is, of course, where I stretched it. I cut the frame rails in half before putting in the crossmembers, measuring from both front and back to make sure the cut was in the same place on each side. I used a miter box to make sure my cut was square, then after the cut was made I glued the crossmembers in, again making sure everything was square. Then I used this C channel and square tubing to make the stretch piece (sorry this pic isn't the greatest):

HPIM1687.jpg

The C channel is just the right size to fit inside the Italeri frame, and I cut the square tubing in half lengthwise to give me the larger C channel I needed to match the frame. The smaller C channel runs from the last crossmember in the front half of the original frame to just in front of the first frame rail in the back half. Then I just glued the outer piece on the inner C channel. I hope this helps you some!

what size c-channel did you use for your frame.

I'm really not sure, I'll see if I still have the package, but I do know it's the biggest C-channel I could find from evergreen. If I still have the package sleeve, I'll let you know what the evergreen part number is.

I'm really not sure, I'll see if I still have the package, but I do know it's the biggest C-channel I could find from evergreen. If I still have the package sleeve, I'll let you know what the evergreen part number is.

I don't have the sleeve anymore. The best I can tell you is it is 5/16 inch wide. I hope that helps!