Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

sea salt or table salt?

Buck, there's an article I wrote for Model Car Magazine a while back. Check it out, if you can. It will explain everything in detail.

I use a combination of table salt and rock salt (Kosher salt works well too) and what you do is wet the surface. Sprinkle the salt, use a hair dryer to dry the salt, then spray your coat of paint.

Good luck and post your progress.

Yours, D. Cranky, Ph.D. in Salt Studies! :)

Buck, there's an article I wrote for Model Car Magazine a while back. Check it out, if you can. It will explain everything in detail.

I use a combination of table salt and rock salt (Kosher salt works well too) and what you do is wet the surface. Sprinkle the salt, use a hair dryer to dry the salt, then spray your coat of paint.

Good luck and post your progress.

Yours, D. Cranky, Ph.D. in Salt Studies! :lol:

Thanks cranky im some what of a slow learner..thanks for your help

BUCK...

Thanks cranky im some what of a slow learner..thanks for your help

BUCK...

Ok...call me GREEN !! What is the deal with salt ? What does it do and why are we doing this? Does it clean ? Give the paint a special look ? Please explain.....thanks....mr. greenjeans.

I just used this method on a new build think it came out right :lol:

DSC00160-vi.jpg

DSC00162-vi.jpg

Thanks for the expla. I assume that the build has a underspray coat which you want to come thru ? After the salt and finish coat...correct ? Thats pretty cool. I have some builds I would like to share on here but still having problems posting them.

This is one I used salt on. As well as rubber cement, drybrushing and crimson and black ink washes on. It seems the dirtier my hands got, the better the model looked...

101_0692.jpg

101_0717.jpg

The process was to start with a lighter green to represent faded paint, then heavily drybrushed dark silver over it, then put salt down and sprayed the darker green over it. Brushed it off, put rubber cement where the decals were to be applied, then put the tank decals on, then rubbed off the rubber cement and sanded a bit to soften the edges, then drybrushed again with a dark silver to represent wear areas. Then came the red/black ink washes. Went with more red where rust would be and more black where grime would be. It was a fun (though messy) build.

I love weathered builds and am amazed at some of the beautiful rust bucket cars that you artists crank out (pun intended)... I have a Cameo on the drawing board that would be a "project" model. It will combine rusted metal and damaged/rotted fiberglass, as well as some work done and some to do. Cracked windows, missing trim, torn seat, missing radio, hanging wires and all that type of thing... Should be a lot of fun to do.

When I did the Diamond in the Rough I used normal house hold table salt sprinkled over red oxide sand-able primer. After that I shot the color coat of Tamiya Coral Blue decanted for my air brush. I let the paint dry and then washed the salt of and shot the whole thing with a dull coat. After that I went back over the entire model with Mig Pigments Rust and Smoke.

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

That is so cool. Have not come that far yet but I like it ! Just bought a 31 ford pickup today. I hate messin that up but I guess thats what its all about. Maybe I will buy a less expensive model to experiment with. But I really like it.