Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some old builds

Jim Gibbons

Found some pretty old models I built in storage. Cool to see them after a number of decades. I'm only including a teaser shot of two of them. Hope you enjoy a little modelling nostalgia!

This was my take on Li'l Coffin. I didn't like the purple plastic it was molded in, and wanted to get a different feel for the kit. I'll add more pics soon; I have a couple of minor repairs to make, but I'm amazed it survived basically intact. I brush painted it (and the Merc) with Pactra enamels; I liked how they applied, even if it took forever to dry. If I'm careful, I think I could even get them to polish out! I added a TV to the passenger side, a clear steering wheel, and bullet taillights from a mix of AMT custom parts.

The Merc was one of my early attempts at a custom. My first majorly bloody Exacto knife wound came from cutting the B pillars out. I didn't have a razor saw at the time. Pactra Royal Blue, with the same Sea Blue used on the Coffin for engine, chassis, and details. It was so cool to dig these up again. I'll have more pics coming; I had to take these as I'm learning the camera I just got.

I have a 55 and 57 Revell Chevy, too; the 55 was my first attempt at spark plug wires from carpet thread, and a dipstick. The 57 is a custom painted Pactra pink...what was I thinking??? It's missing 3 of 4 wheels, but the metal axles are intact. I have to do a resto project of it. Pics to come soon.

post-6100-12770699543379_thumb.jpg

Took a few pictures of the 55 and 57 Revell Chevies...the 55 is a but rough, but complete except for the front bumper. I had originally built it in two tone white and black, but as the trim broke off, I repainted the main body gray. I replaced the missing trim with AutoWorld chrome tape (remember that?) The rear license plate is also an AW item; I still have a bunch of those sheets that I have yet to find. The wiring is thread, and I added a fuel line out of stripped phone wire, but didn't know what I was doing; it goes from the chassis to the carb and not the fuel pump! Plus I didn't know about how Chevy painted engines, either, thus the black and silver.

The '57 is pretty darn ugly. Pactra pink, and only has one wheel left. I think the tires were from a Monogram 58 TBird, the wheel centers, I forget. I added the hooded headlights from the AMT 57, along with a grille that might have been from that, too. I forget. I glued a reel to reel tape recorder to the back of the front seat from some AMT kit. The paint is kind of rough; don't know if I can salvage this beast. Fun to see again, tho!

post-6100-12770772770291_thumb.jpg

post-6100-12770772922324_thumb.jpg

post-6100-12770773099061_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments! The Li'l Coffin, Merc, and '55 Chev were built in the '72-73 era, the '57 was a little later (75-76) as I found out that it was released as a Low Rider issue around that time. The Mercury was July of '73 for sure. The reason I remember it was nearly taking the tip of my finger off with the Exacto knife. I was building on our front porch and dripped blood all through the house into the bathroom, lol! My mother was not too pleased with either the mess or bandaging me up, and since my finger was wrapped up, it was a few weeks until I could build again. That Christmas, my folks got me a nice full Exacto set with the standard and large plastic handled blade holders, along with the razor saw blade for the large one. I still have (and use) it!

I think I'm going to fix what needs fixing on them, and leave them as they are. After I took the photos, I reassembled the '55, and all it needs is the front bumper. I may still have it; there's a couple of boxes it may be in. If not, I've had a couple of offers from folks on the board to send me one. (Thanks, guys...will let you know.) The only one I'll have to change a bit is the '57 by putting some different wheels on it. What amazes me is that Li'l Coffin survived nearly intact, considering how fragile it is. The only parts that have to be reglued is the right front king pin retainer on the axle, and the left side exhaust. In other boxes, I found a bunch of old Renwall 1/48 cars, a slew of Bandai 1/48 military vehicles, and a box of 1/72 aircraft. The planes didn't fair too well, most have broken landing gear, and nearly all the biplane upper wings are off. I'll post some pics of the 1/48 stuff soon.