Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to truck modeling

Hi guys, I have been doing different types of modeling Railroads, R/C cars and boats but I am new to truck modeling and need some help. I have started the Revell (Snaptite?) Peterbilt 359 and need some advice. I am painting with Tamiya acrylic paints and was needing to now which color you would use for the Cat engine. I painted the cab and hood Lime Green and the frame black. but the hold up is the engine. Also does any one make a reefer trailor? found a photo on the internet of a Light green 359 and trailor comboand though I would try to copy it. Thanks for the help Gregg.

hi gregg and welcome to the forum, i beleive that cat engine should be white. and as far as finding a reefer unit trailer, they are on ebay all the time. usually for around $50 or you can order a dry box for about $30 then go to sourkrouts and pick either a carrier or a thermo king reefer unit to put on. enjoy your biuld and share some pics if ya can

dennis

Welcome to the forum, Gregg! :D Now, on to your questions, first I noticed you had a question mark behind snaptite. Even though Revell doesn't brand it as a Snaptite, it was exactly that in previous issues of the kit, as is the recently reissued Kenworth Aerodyne. Next, the engine color could either be white or Cat yellow. I normally paint my engines based on engine manufacture, but I've learned reading the replies of the great modelers here that, back in the era of the 359, Peterbilt painted all the engines white, regardless of the engine make. Italeri makes a modern reefer trailer, but I have found it has many inaccuracies, again thanks to the great builders here, and may be more work than you might want to tackle in your first truck build. I found out from the others the trailer is too short, it only measures 12 foot 6 inches in real height, and it takes two kits to modify it right. Madd trucker (Richard) sent me a copy of an article from an old MCM that explains the modification process, I'm sure either of us would be more than happy to send you a copy if you would choose to tackle the Italeri modification. On the other hand, though, AMT made both Great Dane and Freuhauf trailers in reefer versions, but these kits have been out of production for many years. They do pop up on Ebay quite a bit, but most that are still factory sealed sell usually in the $40-$50 range. They don't require the modifications like the Italeri kit, but since they are 1970s era kits, they are only 40 foot trailers. The Freuhauf trailer may drop in price slightly on Ebay, since AMT is reissuing the Freuhauf trailer near the end of this year, but it is supposed to be the dry van kit. I have heard one or two people say the reefer parts are supposed to be included, too, but I have not heard any firm truth to that, so expect only the dry van parts. The older reefers included with those old kits would not be that difficult to scratchbuild, though. Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing some pictures of your truck soon.

Ok guys here is the photo that I was refering to in my first post.the other two were taken with my Iphone and the color is wrong. but I was just mocking it up to get an idea about how it would look, I am making this on box stock just to get over the hurtle. would love to do a Volvo 770 as that is what I drove as a driver trainer. Thanks again Gregg.

post-5266-12778773566715_thumb.jpg

post-5266-12778782631566_thumb.jpg

post-5266-12778783006587_thumb.jpg

hey gregg if your gonna be biuldin trucks here are other parts guys :

for resin parts talk to eric = http://www.ppvintagekits.com/

for aluminum talk to ryan = rhino9904@yahoo.com

both are great guys to deal with , they put out quality parts. and any questions about peterbilts should be addressed by the main oval man himself : "mackinac359" or tim

dennis

looks like you got a good start there. I feel the snap kit is a good start too, the only hard parts are the funky rims.By thinking things out and few extra part's they look real good,I'm working on one now and hoping too start the KW kit soon. Clayton

Hi guys, I have been doing different types of modeling Railroads, R/C cars and boats but I am new to truck modeling and need some help. I have started the Revell (Snaptite?) Peterbilt 359 and need some advice. I am painting with Tamiya acrylic paints and was needing to now which color you would use for the Cat engine. I painted the cab and hood Lime Green and the frame black. but the hold up is the engine. Also does any one make a reefer trailor? found a photo on the internet of a Light green 359 and trailor comboand though I would try to copy it. Thanks for the help Gregg.

welcome gregg.i liked the revell pete it was a good truck to get into big rigs.this is mine before decals. i did a 2" frame stretch custom front bumper,exhaust,fender extentions and put a window into the back of the sleeper.here is a link to all of the pics of my truck http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii201/toplessfury/new%20truck%20model/ DSC02766.jpg

welcome gregg.i liked the revell pete it was a good truck to get into big rigs.this is mine before decals. i did a 2" frame stretch custom front bumper,exhaust,fender extentions and put a window into the back of the sleeper.here is a link to all of the pics of my truck httap://s265.photobuc...0truck%20model/ DSC02766.jpg

Nice build but , you need some kind of stack support for in real life they would shake so much you would be hitting the sleeper but, than again this just a model.

Nice build but , you need some kind of stack support for in real life they would shake so much you would be hitting the sleeper but, than again this just a model.

B) you know i didnt think of that,but it is my first truck build so ill have to go back and fix that one day lol :blink: