Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with AMT Fiat

Building the current kit of the AMT Double-dragster Fiat.. Using the Blown Chrysler engine.. the problem is the fuel pump.. this is typically driven off the front of the camshaft..when you mount the fuel tank under the hood, it sits almost against the blower belt, leaving no room for the pump.

Most of these that I have seen built leave the pump off, or turn the blower belt upside down, and mount it to the idler pulley..The instructions make no mention of the pump . There is one included in the kit, to be used with the fuel injection engine..

Looking to see what other people have done...

The 1:1 car this kit is based upon is the original "Walt's Puffer". It used a combination mag/fuel pump drive at the rear of the motor. Unless you're doing a replica of said car, I'd just drill a hole in the front cover and call it good. If you're more ambitious than that, them cobble up the pump/magneto combo mentioned. Neither one is difficult to do. One is just waaaayyyy quicker than the other.

TimP

Building the current kit of the AMT Double-dragster Fiat.. Using the Blown Chrysler engine.. the problem is the fuel pump.. this is typically driven off the front of the camshaft..when you mount the fuel tank under the hood, it sits almost against the blower belt, leaving no room for the pump.

Most of these that I have seen built leave the pump off, or turn the blower belt upside down, and mount it to the idler pulley..The instructions make no mention of the pump . There is one included in the kit, to be used with the fuel injection engine..

Looking to see what other people have done...

The 1:1 car this kit is based upon is the original "Walt's Puffer". It used a combination mag/fuel pump drive at the rear of the motor. Unless you're doing a replica of said car, I'd just drill a hole in the front cover and call it good. If you're more ambitious than that, them cobble up the pump/magneto combo mentioned. Neither one is difficult to do. One is just waaaayyyy quicker than the other.

TimP

Thanks>> I'll do research on Walts puffer....The reason I can't use the front mount, is lack of room.. the tank is too close to the belt..

Maybe a right angle gear drive...