Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building again after 50 year absence #1

modelercarl

I am a 69 year old modeller.....haven't built models for about 50 years. A little over a year ago I got back into the hobby by building models of my first cars I owned as a teenager growing up in Garden City, MI. The 53 Buick you will see is the car I learned to drive on, my parents. I then bought in order, the '53 Studebaker, '53 Ford, '57 Ford and finally the '60 Pontiac before going in the Army in '61. This posting is in 3 parts due to the file size. As you experienced modellers will know, the Peterbilt is the Revell of Germany Black Magic and the trailer is the ROG Car Transporter. More in the next post......

post-5156-12793185994417_thumb.jpg

post-5156-12793186131065_thumb.jpg

Very nice!!...I built a Pete 359 with the ROG carrier..does hog a bit of shelf space but loaded up they look so cool!..I have to admit I was a little daunted by the carrier kit when I first looked at it, but was pleased with how well it went together :lol: as for your paint scheme I like it..a little plain "maybe" but I've seen a lot of car haulers very similiar to your models scheme..maybe a company logo on the doors would work, you are making your own decals by now right? :D:blink:

You guys are right...it is a little plain. When I started building the truck and trailer I kept looking around for color ideas (being in the metro Detroit area I see LOTS of "portable parking lots") and it seemed the independent truckers were usually very plain rigs so that got me a color but I did/still want to add stripes and tried Jbot for months but he seems to be out of business. I am experimenting with making decals and have gotten pretty good but I'm a little worried about screwing up a decent build....been practicing with scrap stuff. I will get something worked out though.

I think they look just fine the way they are.Plain or not a model builder your age is a good thing keep up the good work.

I have two car carriers one holds 7 cars and the other is a stinger style it holds 9 cars. They do make good displays.

Earl Miller

I think they look just fine the way they are.Plain or not a model builder your age is a good thing keep up the good work.

I have two car carriers one holds 7 cars and the other is a stinger style it holds 9 cars. They do make good displays.

Earl Miller

Thanks for the kind words. It makes me smile when visitors see the display, especially friends from school who remember the cars, great conversation starters. We had our 50th class reunion last year and a couple of the guys wanted me to display the models but I was afraid of damage/loss so I didn't do it.