Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for spray paint

Hi everybody. I paint with aeorsole paints (car paints) but never seem to get a really good paint job. Can anybody point me in the right direction for an online shop, that sells good paint? I'm just looking to for pure white at the moment. I'm in the uk. Thanks craig

Tamiya spray paints, TS and AS series. They're sold at hobby shops. I heard that UK modelers have had trouble getting it because there's some sort of importing issue, but I'm not sure that's still true. Maybe a UK forum member can confirm it.

Edited by Ddms

Craig, you can use automotive spray paints from Halfords, trust me. They also sell standard appliance white.

There are a few tricks to the trade though.

1. You need to lay down primer before you use paint. I use Halfords white primer and it works. I let the primer dry for a day before I shoot paint on it. If you paint too soon, you risk the paint eating through the primer and the plastic will potentially craze.

2. You need to shake the rattle cans very, very well. Ten minutes shaking is minimum.

3. You need to heat the cans before you spray. I boil water in the kettle, then pour it into a small cooking pot and put the rattle can in. When I use the spray can, it is so hot that I need to handle it with a rubber glove.

4. Never use the spray nozzles that come with the can. You can get an assortment of nozzles intended for grafitti artists off Ebay UK. It's an assortment of 20 or so nozzles for three quid or so. You need to experiment which of the nozzles gives you the spray pattern you prefer. You can use plastic spoons for your experiments (this last trick I learned on this forum here).

5. Ye olde storye: Spray in thin coats, leave at least 15 minutes between coats. The last coat is the 'thickest' to get the paint as smooth as possible. It will never ever be perfect at this stage.

6. Let the paint dry for at least a week, then use a polishing kit and polish the entire model. This makes the paint job good, not the paint job itself.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. If everything fails, you are welcome to pop over and we can have a painting session.

Cheers for the reply. I will go get some halfords paint now. What do I type in eBay to find the assorted nozzels, and where do I find polishing clothes. Would love to pop over for a paint demo. But am up in Scotland. And ur down England. Bit far to come lol.

They call them 'spray paint caps'. Here is a set which will get you starting:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-MIXED-SPRAY-CAPS-aerosol-art-paint-fit-Molotow-/110425217015?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item19b5db17f7

The IMO best polishing kit on the market is by Micro Mark and it's called Micro Mesh finishing kit:

http://www.micromark.com/MICRO-MESH-FINISHING-KIT,7601.html

• 3 months later...

3. You need to heat the cans before you spray. I boil water in the kettle, then pour it into a small cooking pot and put the rattle can in. When I use the spray can, it is so hot that I need to handle it with a rubber glove.

This is really dependent on the strength of the can, so people should be careful. I've had a bottom pop while shaking just from putting it in hot water from the tap.

Tamiya spray paints, TS and AS series. They're sold at hobby shops. I heard that UK modelers have had trouble getting it because there's some sort of importing issue, but I'm not sure that's still true. Maybe a UK forum member can confirm it.

there was a problem I think down to the labelling of the contents, the TS paints are just coming back in stock, but still no sign of the AS paints yet

Hi everybody. I paint with aeorsole paints (car paints) but never seem to get a really good paint job. Can anybody point me in the right direction for an online shop, that sells good paint? I'm just looking to for pure white at the moment. I'm in the uk. Thanks craig

If your looking for aerosol paint, then the Halfords paint is very good, but these days I don't use them, I much prefer to use an airbrush and buy my paints from either http://www.cartouchuppaint.co.uk/ or http://www.paints4u.com/ these paints come un-mixed, so you need some cellulose thinners to thin them down and to clean out the airbrush afterwards.

I use the Dupli-Color "3" system: Primer,Color then clear. I start sanding my first coat with 320 then after each next coat I go 600,1000 and finish with 2000. I do the same on all three: Primer, Color, Clear. Then I compound using Turtle Wax brand and final polish with McQuire"s Scratch X. The results are awesome.