Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fab's 09 Challenger

VVhiplash

I finally completed my 2009 Dodge Challenger project. I did run into a few issues...namely glue on the windows and I had real issues fitting the front and rear fascia. My assembly had too much tension which resulted in difficult final assembly. As for the glue, I will use white glue on future projects.

Comments appreciated.

montage-srt8.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

IMG_0935.jpg

rear1.jpg

side2.jpg

Edited by VVhiplash

Hey Fab, Nice job! I know the fit of the front and rear are tight - probably tighter due to a bit of paint build up, making the fit even tighter. A suggestion is to test fit parts as you go, before paint, after, and before glue. I used a bit of Tenax 7R (like a super glue) to fit the front and rear on my Challenger.

Did you enjoy building it? Are you happy with the outcome? Would you build the same kit again? What kit is next?

Hey, did you get to the AMRO contest last Sunday? They've already got the 2011 flyer up on the website,here.

I won 3 plaques. 3rd in Theme, 3rd in Out of the Box, and Best Interior. Needless to say, I was quite surprised, and quite happy! Plus, won a '68 Road Runner kit as a door prize!

In my experience, getting together with other modelers is the best way to learn (as well as a resource like this forum) to get better. Contact one of the AMRO guys, like Chris, and see if you can go to one of their meetings in Gatineau. Here's their website. The guys I've met are a good bunch! Might give you another outlet to pick up some tips.

Main thing is...have fun building!

Thanks Tony. Yeah I really did enjoy building it and found it much easier than when I was younger as I a have less time on my hands...which forces me to build it bit by bit and not rush anything. :lol:

I am happy with the level of detail I was able to achieve for a first build. I wish I had a better way of maintaining my brushes though....Seems like I ruined 2-3 brushes on this project alone. :(

I would like to take on either a VW bug (old) or a Mini Cooper (old or new model) as my next build. Not sure. Will go back to the hobby shop soon. The other build I'm considering is a semi-trailer truck.

I will try to attend the next AMRO event and have bookmarked their website. So were you at the gathering in Gatineau? If I had known I would have gone to say hi. Way to go for your prizes though!

Yes, I was there. Arrived about 11:30am, and the awards ceremony ended about 5:30pm. Met up with a few guys I know, a couple I hadn't seen for a while, which was a bonus.

Brushes-Are you cleaning them right after use, and laying them flat? I've got brushes I've had for years, even decades! Make sure you use the right cleaner for the paint - I use tap water for Tamiya paints, and paint thinner or varsol for Testor's paints. I always clean the brush after use, and lay it on the workbench.

I've done a few Bug kits - Revell can have it's fit issues, and I haven't built one, but the Tamiya '66 Beetle is nice, as is the old Mini.