Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ideas & Inspiration please....

Dave,I ll surely be looking forward to seeing the Autocar done,if its even half as detailed as that Pete, it should be awesome. Is it going to be based on the black one? Might be a long shot,but does your friend happen to have an H-61 Mack in his collection? I took a look at the photobucket pics, good reference shots in there. Thanks again for sharing.

I will check and see if he has an H-61. You can google image it and be amazed.

And when I get through with the Autocar, aptly named Black and Shiny, it will be a mirror image of the real thing. I plan on a lot of brass (hood, radiator shell, bumpers and all chrome work in brass first then I will plate it). It will be the last full detail for me as a way to end that part of my building and go back to what I love and to what takes less time, OOB.

I have so much to get to and enjoy all avenues that the full detail takes up too much time. I have 3 left, 2 started and then Black and Shiny.

I will post it when I start it.

Probably another 1500+ hour project, but worth it.

He says that everywhere he goes in that truck ( and he GOES in that truck, went from Ohio to CA doing about 110 bobtailing) that people are in awe of it and I know the model would be the same way. I don't have any full shots of it, because I needed the detail. I have some in print, but the digital ones are all detail.

It is by far, my favorite classic I have every seen. I can't wait to do it justice.

David

1500+ hours, that just makes my head spin!!! I'll say it again, Im looking forward to seeing this one. Should be a beauty. I have googled the H-61 but keep turning up the same pics. I have scratchbuilt a cab from pics I have found,its posted here somewhere, but am trying to find pics of the chassis and rear of cab. There is a short video of one on you tube which helps a little. I e-mailed the Mack museum a while back to ask for info,but still havent got anything. Maybe they wont send to Australia,I dont know. Might have to go a different direction with it.

1500+ hours, that just makes my head spin!!! I'll say it again, Im looking forward to seeing this one. Should be a beauty. I have googled the H-61 but keep turning up the same pics. I have scratchbuilt a cab from pics I have found,its posted here somewhere, but am trying to find pics of the chassis and rear of cab. There is a short video of one on you tube which helps a little. I e-mailed the Mack museum a while back to ask for info,but still havent got anything. Maybe they wont send to Australia,I dont know. Might have to go a different direction with it.

Might try ATHS. They have a library and will copy stuff and send it out. Give them an email.

David

http://www.aths.org/index.cfm

Look around for the library or email them. I know we have a huge library with a ton of research material.

Here are mine.

My Autocar which was the first build I ever restored. It needed repairs and I completely rebuilt it.Mods are mainly engine detail and air brake plumbing.

100_0299.jpg

100_0307.jpg

This Mack is my very first truck I built, 19 years ago. I've restored it after numerous moves and damage. This is an in progress shot. I shortened the bumper and frame due to some damage.

100_0287.jpg

Here it is just about done.

100_0798.jpg

My GMC Astro. Mods include a cut down cab, working steering, and hydrualic lift cylinders for the cab.

100_0021.jpg

100_0023.jpg

I hope all the pix of great builds I've seen in this thread give inspiration.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Hey Ray,

Thanks for sharing some of your builds, I like them all, I think the Autocar would be my favourite though. I have got quite a lot out of this thread as I finally made some progress on the old Diamond the other night. I was going to use the Chevy Titan chassis but had so many head aches with how the cab was sitting on it, that I took off the steering and rear axles and made my own frame rails and finally it is sitting right. Now I just need to add some bolt head detail to the chassis and am seriously considering adding plumbing detail also. Should turn out really nice and I'll be posting some pics once I get my camera back again. Cheers.