Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Norm's 68 Dart

bobbyj

im interested in how you made the doorjambs?...i cut the doors open on a scrap body once and in trying to figure out how to make al the jambs and hide the cut marks i about pulled my hair out

well I first googled the car to find out what the jambs looked like. I then looked at where the steps in the jamb started and ended. cut my styrene sheet at those points and layered it. i placed the interior in the car along with the chassis and cut a paper templet to fit that area and cut a styrene sheet to fill it. al the other layers built it up to end at the rear int. panel. but first you must use iether brass rod or guitar string to support the body where you cut it the "A" pillers are a must and the rocker pannels aren't a bad idea iether. hinge the doors and place your door panel in and tack it to the top of the door and build the doors jamb first. here ill get some pics up in the order it needs to be done.

hinges first

0901100034.jpg

then doors

0901100032.jpg

0901100032a.jpg

0907101058.jpg

then body door jambs

0907101057.jpg

ther are like 84 pics in my photobucket of what and how i did a lot of this work and more come daily its just hard to post them all everywhere at the same time. this car is also on the scaleauto site too. my bucket screen name is bobbyjjiii check it out it is public. let me know ill take more pics of whatever you guys want to see.

bobbyj

Edited by bobbyj

rims and raiator pics

0827100009.jpg

0827100647.jpg

misc pics i didnt put up

0912100017a.jpg

0913100017.jpg

it was that pic that made me relize that not the motor but the whole front sub frame in the real car sits off ceneter!!! yes I did double check this with a 1:1 car down the street a t Time machines a VERY good shop check them out at www.timemachinesinc.com

0912100017.jpg

This build is great, its very informative when somebody posts pics of how they go about getting the job done. The idea of using brass is new to me and I couldnt really understand how it was used before you showed these pics. With some practice it looks like it could be easy enough. What do you use to weld the joins? I have scratchbuilt 4 truck cabs out of styrene (posted in model trucks pages) and I can really appreciate the work you have put into this build so far. Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

This build is great, its very informative when somebody posts pics of how they go about getting the job done. The idea of using brass is new to me and I couldnt really understand how it was used before you showed these pics. With some practice it looks like it could be easy enough. What do you use to weld the joins? I have scratchbuilt 4 truck cabs out of styrene (posted in model trucks pages) and I can really appreciate the work you have put into this build so far. Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

I use a silver solder. any solder should work. def have to solder though make sure parts are clean and use lots of flux.

I think using brass is a good way to go. It provides strength and a solid base to build to. Especially after opening the panels, a rigid stable brass frame can really pay off in the end.

Tell me about the radiator, the pic is a little blurry but I can see through it.

Not trying to start up anything, but I think the reason an issue was made about scratch-building is due to the revered level of skill it takes to scratch-build well. Throwing the term around can be interpreted as an insult to those who do actual scratch-building, and there is a definition for scratch-building, not subject to such loose interpretations in my opinion.

i use brass for strength and just to be different. augie has used brass for a lot of sttuff. he once made a running 1/25 scale sb chevy!!! i use a micro torch not a soldering iron. brass is just a stronger medium and be a collision tech and metal fab. its just second nature to work with metal its more fun and easier. plus it make for a go convo piece to say something is brass. and its easier to plate when wanted. brass door hinges are the best you dont have to worry about them breaking when you put the door on and take it off a lot. the rad. core is see through its detail master rad core it is directional. ill try to get a better pic up later of it. great questions love answering them any others?

Bobby JERNIGAN

p.s. yes I used a dial caliper to mic the frame and drew it out with suttle changes i wanted to make i.e. slight tub raised the front frame area up some to make it easier to lower. i then made a jig with those measurments on a piece of 1x6 and used finishing nails to hold it while i did my soldering. ill get some pics up of that too.

Edited by bobbyj

i use brass for strength and just to be different. augie has used brass for a lot of sttuff. he once made a running 1/25 scale sb chevy!!! i use a micro torch not a soldering iron. brass is just a stronger medium and be a collision tech and metal fab. its just second nature to work with metal its more fun and easier. plus it make for a go convo piece to say something is brass. and its easier to plate when wanted. brass door hinges are the best you dont have to worry about them breaking when you put the door on and take it off a lot. the rad. core is see through its detail master rad core it is directional. ill try to get a better pic up later of it. great questions love answering them any others?

Bobby JERNIGAN

p.s. yes I used a dial caliper to mic the frame and drew it out with suttle changes i wanted to make i.e. slight tub raised the front frame area up some to make it easier to lower. i then made a jig with those measurments on a piece of 1x6 and used finishing nails to hold it while i did my soldering. ill get some pics up of that too.

Thanks for the info.

But I have to ask for clarification about your comment of Augie (Hiscano) building a running 1/25 scale small block Chevy? I knew Augie, and I don’t recall anything like that, granted he was a very humble man, but I am shocked that I did not know about a running 1/25 scale small block Chevy. That would be an incredible feat. Please clarify. Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

But I have to ask for clarification about your comment of Augie (Hiscano) building a running 1/25 scale small block Chevy? I knew Augie, and I don’t recall anything like that, granted he was a very humble man, but I am shocked that I did not know about a running 1/25 scale small block Chevy. That would be an incredible feat. Please clarify. Thanks.

I echo Mark's thoughts here......I'm very curious to hear more on this alleged 1/25 scale working engine.

Would love to hear about how the entire rotating assembly was done, as well as a working valve train, fuel system, ignition system, piston rings, valve springs, etc....

Any pics or vids to help confirm?

I echo Mark's thoughts here......I'm very curious to hear more on this alleged 1/25 scale working engine.

Would love to hear about how the entire rotating assembly was done, as well as a working valve train, fuel system, ignition system, piston rings, valve springs, etc....

Any pics or vids to help confirm?

I will have to do some looking around but I am "almost" theres that word again. it was 1/25 scale I did see it once at a NNL in bermingham I believe. I'll Call Bob Kurnow maybe tonight and find out for sure. I actually have thought about building a running motor to put in a car myself......kinda. the dig differance would be is it would be 2 stroke. lol easier to do. but they make pistons small enough. they run them in little tiny steam engines and even gas plains.

anyways enough about all that I am going to try to get some paint on the frame in the next few days. after i get the floor pan built and then ill paint the floor pan. I have been toying with the idea of house of colors Kandy tangerine instead of Kandy apple red.what do you guys think?

Bobby

Hey Bobby, when you talk to Bob K. tell him hi from me. Been a while since I spoke with him, is he still doing the furniture thing?

I will. what was your real name? I talked to him the other day. last time I saw him ha was my dad's best man in his wedding. how long has it been since you have talk to him?He got married him self about 3 years ago i think its been.

Edited by bobbyj

I will. what was your real name? I talked to him the other day. last time I saw him ha was my dad's best man in his wedding. how long has it been since you have talk to him?

My real name is in my last post, and every other one I have made here. It has been couple/few years since I spoke to him. See my name at the bottom of this post?

Edited by Scale-Master

I will have to do some looking around but I am "almost" theres that word again. it was 1/25 scale I did see it once at a NNL in bermingham I believe. I'll Call Bob Kurnow maybe tonight and find out for sure. I actually have thought about building a running motor to put in a car myself......kinda. the dig differance would be is it would be 2 stroke. lol easier to do. but they make pistons small enough. they run them in little tiny steam engines and even gas plains.

anyways enough about all that I am going to try to get some paint on the frame in the next few days. after i get the floor pan built and then ill paint the floor pan. I have been toying with the idea of house of colors Kandy tangerine instead of Kandy apple red.what do you guys think?

Bobby

I dunno man, If Augie had truly created a "running" 1/25 scale SBC chevy-V-8 internal combustion engine, it would have been featured on every front cover of every modeling magazine that there ever was/is....I don't think something like that would have been "forgotten about" and would now require some deep digging and looking around to find documentation.

An engine like that in 1/25th, would have been epic...I'm not trying to call you a fibber/truth stretcher, but it seems strange that none of the Top hobbyists and scale auto builders I have talked to and know are aware of this Astounding Engine.

Something like that surely would have ended up in the GSL museum or equivalent...

I guess I'm one of those "show me/don't tell me" types...I'm looking forward to learning more about this 8th wonder of the modeling world...I hope I can see pics of it running and functioning..WIP files would be fantastic...........Thanks, Jeff

Edited by Troll hunter

I dunno man, If Augie had truly created a "running" 1/25 scale SBC chevy-V-8 internal combustion engine, it would have been featured on every front cover of every modeling magazine that there ever was/is....I don't think something like that would have been "forgotten about" and would now require some deep digging and looking around to find documentation.

An engine like that in 1/25th, would have been epic...I'm not trying to call you a fibber/truth stretcher, but it seems strange that none of the Top hobbyists and scale auto builders I have talked to and know are aware of this Astounding Engine.

Something like that surely would have ended up in the GSL museum or equivalent...

I guess I'm one of those "show me/don't tell me" types...I'm looking forward to learing more about this 8th wonder of the modeling world...I hope I can see pics of it running and functioning..WIP files would be fantastic...........Thanks, Jeff

I am looking going to do some digging around my self. I could have been mistaken though I was just a little kid when I saw it. it may have been steam powered or had tiny elect. motors in the base running it like the airplain motor he did. but ill do some looking another thing I'll ask Bob K. about.

Bobby, I have to say Jeff has made some pertinent and valid points here about that "running 1/25 scale engine".

Augie was pretty much a regular attendee at the GSL's for sometime, (that is where I met him). And he took Best Of Show multiple times.

I am sure I would have known of this engine as we mostly discussed machining model engine parts in our conversations, and a running engine would most likely have eclipsed the awesome static work I know he did.

Even putting a tiny electric motor in/under an engine that scale and making it operate would be unbelievable.

And if you are referring to the radial airplane engine about the size of a dime? I saw that in person and it was not motorized. Was there another one? I'd like to see that.

I'm sure Bob would be aware of an operating 1/25th scale internal combustion or motorized or steam engine made by Augie, please ask him. It would very cool if it were true though...