Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dupli Color Paint Shop Clear, anyone use it?

Longbox55

Going out on a limb here, I think most Duplicolor products are laquer. You'd be ok using it on thier products, or on other laquers, but I doubt it would be safe over hobby paints, as they are enamels.

Prowler is right. You might want to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some white Zinsser Shellac spray paint to use as your base coat. This paint prevents bleeding of the base color of plastic the model is in and it keeps the model from "crazing" or melting when lacquers are applied to your model. Then you lay on a few dust coats of

self etching primer which aids in adhesion of the final coats. Then you put on your primer surfacer sparingly. Then you spray on your color using light mist coats until you achieve the tone you desire. My explination is brief, but painting model cars can get a little more technical and involved as you get more knowlegeable of the different paints and techniques. And remember always wear a respirator when spraying these caustic chemicals.