Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi...couple questions about a "Rubber Duck" projec

Hi Mackinac....Thanks for the reply...I had seen Chris's truck before but couldnt find the pic in the archives...Basically, Im curious about the air hose set up behind the sleeper....btw, do you know a site that would carry things like hand rails and fifth wheel setup parts?...Ive been out of this hobby for awhile and alot of the sites I use to know Ive forgotten....Thanks for any info you may have....Matt

Go to ConvoyTM. It's a website dedicated to the movie. If you click on the link that says St Louis Dump Trucks, you can see the the life size replica that is being built of the black Mack. He also owns a truck from the movie Duel. Also, go to JBOT decals website, click on the decal dets for the trucks from the movie Convoy, and scroll to bottom of page, you will find links to 2 Convoy websites there with lots of pix. Good luck.

Tim, do you know that truck was 4 sale on ebay, as well as the trailer. I think he pulled the auctions, but they were being sold separately. I wish I knew. It was the best model I've ever seen of the Duck's Mack. I first saw it on your site, and then I found the site that you can click on JBOT's site, it's based in Germany, but his trucks are there. He also did Pigpen's truck, and the blue and gold 352, but I didn't see the flatbed it pulled in the movie.

The St Louis dump truck site is closed. Shame, he had spec sheets for that truck, and interesting facts about the 5 Black Macks used during filming. I will list what I remember of it's specs.

1977 MackR700SL, 283 HP Tip Turbine Mack(not the 8V71 like it sounds like in the movie) which means the air cleaner will have the 2 tubes coming out, not just one, 10 spd fuller trans, high mount fifth wheel, the sleeper was 60"(the sleeper from revell AG's suprliner kits with some modification should do) and I can't remember much else off the top of my head.

the reason Duck's truck sounds like it had a detroit was a combination of studio overdub, as well as one of the stunt double trucks having an 8v71. the site mentioned a detroit powered pull truck. I guess the closeups were

filmed in the same manner as the Movin' on tv show. With the Mack being pulled by another truck while the actor pretended to drive.

two of the stunt doubles had NTC 350 Cummins engines. I wish that site was still up. There was a lot of history on the truck, and the movie in general, listed there. I hope you find some pix, or have the movie. I'll put it tgis way, it showed which trucks were used when. One of the cummins powered Macks was converted to a mixer after filming was over. the Cruiseliner was sold to a guy in LA

And a sad note, none of those trucks, nor Pigpen's truck, have survived. The mixer wrecked in 1988, and the Cruiseliner wrecked in 1978/79 on I 5. No word on what ever happened to Spider Mike's truck.

Not sure if he did the 60" Mack sleepers. Remember they will have a notch in the front corner to make room for the stack. As for the sleeper from the revell rainbow truck, or the current superliner(box art shows a yellow truck) it has notches for dual stacks, and is an aerodyne type sleeper. You will have to square off the roof to make the sleeper a box shape. Remove the aerodyne window area in other words. Also, the notch for the driver's side stack will have to be filled in. AITM makes plenty of MACK related items including sleepers now that I think of it. If you have the old Ertl Rubber duck kit, it's very inaccurate. You will need to combine the sleepers from more than one of those kits to make it right. It needs to be stretched out to 60 scale inches, and made a little taller. Also, the truck itself in the kit is wrong. Uses the DM600, meanwhile the real thing is an R model. STS sold a mack sleeper too I think. good luck. i will help as best as I can. But off hand, those are the 2 ways to get the sleeper right, and remember to use an R model chassis. Hopefully you have the rubber duck kit as you can at least use the cowcatcher bumper he had on that truck. For decals, JBOT is your best bet. He has PIGPEN'S truck decals. AITM is definately the first place I would go, but I don't thnk they have the 60" stanup. I think they have a single bunk with dual exhaust cutouts. Go to White Fang for an accurate duck hood ornament.

thanks Dave :lol:. this movie was a favorite of mine. Was released in 1978(just like me). As a child it had one main appeal, Trucks. And lots of them. But when I found the now closed up website with the all the info on this truck, I feel as though I could kick myself for not copying it all into my computer. Very useful things in there, as well as some interesting facts in general about the movie, and the Bruhn family. owners of Bruhn Trucking in New Mexico, who supplied several of the trucks in the movie. The kw with the bottom dump that is always right behind the Duck, is an "as-is" Bruhn Trucking rig. The supplied the Blue and Gold 352, and the red and white 352 as well. These were painted for the movie. Anyhoo, he had a bunch of cool info. the german site listed on JBOT is really cool too. It features the truck and trailer model that was so very accurate and was featured on Tim's site.