Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 54 Chevy Questions

I've recently rediscovered my childhood hobby of building model cars at age 40. Until recently, I hadn't built a kit in about 20 years. One of the last kits I bought was a Revell 54, 55, and 57 Chevy 3-pack sponsored by Hot Rod Magazine. I am working on the 54 Chevy at present and have a couple of questions:

1. Is the Revell 54 a 210 body style as I am trying to locate photos on line to get an accurate interior paint scheme?

2. Just as I remembered as a kid, I hate the 2-piece tires that Revell used with many of their kits. Is there anywhere I can get one piece tires that will fit it? I'll buy them if anyone has some spares. I have lots of AMT tires, but they are just a tad big for whatever reason. I really thing the Revell tires are out of scale, but I'm not sure.

I am new to this site, glad I found it, and I appreciate any and all good answers.

Thanks,

Rob D

I've recently rediscovered my childhood hobby of building model cars at age 40. Until recently, I hadn't built a kit in about 20 years. One of the last kits I bought was a Revell 54, 55, and 57 Chevy 3-pack sponsored by Hot Rod Magazine. I am working on the 54 Chevy at present and have a couple of questions:

1. Is the Revell 54 a 210 body style as I am trying to locate photos on line to get an accurate interior paint scheme?

2. Just as I remembered as a kid, I hate the 2-piece tires that Revell used with many of their kits. Is there anywhere I can get one piece tires that will fit it? I'll buy them if anyone has some spares. I have lots of AMT tires, but they are just a tad big for whatever reason. I really thing the Revell tires are out of scale, but I'm not sure.

I am new to this site, glad I found it, and I appreciate any and all good answers.

Thanks,

Rob D

Rob,

Welcome! You're going to love this forum.

If you can give me an idea of what types of wheels and tires you're looking for, I may be able to help. I have plenty of extras, and/or, I can guide you on where to find exactly what you're looking for. Ideally, you'll want to start buying some new kits to keep the fire burning, AND so that you can scavenge the extra parts from those kits to use on future builds......especially wheels and tires.

Mike

Rob,

Welcome! You're going to love this forum.

If you can give me an idea of what types of wheels and tires you're looking for, I may be able to help. I have plenty of extras, and/or, I can guide you on where to find exactly what you're looking for. Ideally, you'll want to start buying some new kits to keep the fire burning, AND so that you can scavenge the extra parts from those kits to use on future builds......especially wheels and tires.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The kit wouldn't allow me to build it totally stock and the only wheels I have are the 8-hole chrome deep dish mags that came with the kit. I really like them, so I want to use those so the tires I would need would need to be the same or close to the diameter as the junky glue together 2-peice jobs that came with it.

I do have a lot of parts, but I was and still am really an AMT guy who does an occassional Monogram and not really up on Revell or anything really recently. I did buy the new AMT 60 Ford Starliner over Christmas though and I am really love the wheel choices with that one. AMT has even gone back to the old-style white walls of yesteryear as opposed to the old 70s and 80s standard Firestones and Goodyears.

If you have anything like that let me know and I'll be glad to buy them off you for a reasonable price.

I already love this site.

Thanks

RD

Is that the 2 door post molded in black ? If so then it would be a 210 sedan. Or you could black out all the trim and rock guards and go for a 150 look.

Yes it is the black 2-door post with very few stock options.

Do you know if the 210 had carpet like the Bel-Aire? I finally found a color scheme for black on black, but can't find a photo of the rear window deck behind the passenger seat. The head liner was red to match the red 2 tone door liners and the rear seat with the checkered vinyl was solid black. My gut says go with black too to match the seat, but I still won't swear the rear deck was not red to match the head liner?

Do you know?

Thanks again,

Rob D

It did have carpet, but I'm not sure where and how much. You should check out 54classicchevy.com , Lots of little tid bits there for you project.

On a side note, I have that same kit unbuilt, I'll take a look at the wheels and see what I have for tire laying around and shoot you some pics, to see if you see something you like.

It did have carpet, but I'm not sure where and how much. You should check out 54classicchevy.com , Lots of little tid bits there for you project.

On a side note, I have that same kit unbuilt, I'll take a look at the wheels and see what I have for tire laying around and shoot you some pics, to see if you see something you like.

Thanks Shane. I'd surely appreciate the pics. If you don't mind, test fit them with the wheels that came with the kit to ensure a tight fit. I'll gladly reimburse you for them if you happen to have some that fit. I'll also check out the site you mentioned as I currently have everything primed and ready to paint interior-wise minus the dash. Took some pics last night that I'll put up on Workbench section of the site as soon as I can my better half to take them off her camera.

Rob,

You might want to consider going out and buying an AMT '51 Chevy kit. They are pretty common and still on some hobby shop shelves. This kit would get you a stock six cylinder engine (with optional hop-up parts) and transmission along with better wheels and tires.

Yeah, I saw that kit on the shelf the other day and opted for the 60 Starliner instead. Definitely one I want to build in the future, but I'm going with the 348 or 409, not sure which it is, included with the kit since I don't have the stock hubs or steering wheel to go along. I built a Monogram stock 53 several years back and used the straight 6 and hubs on that one that would have been compatible. I'm just trying to keep this as stock-looking as I can with what was included.

The AMT '51 wouldn't have the correct engine, as it has the 216 low pressure engine. A '54 would use the high pump/ high pressure 235, which has a completley different engine block. The AMT '53 Corvette would be closer, or the Monogram "53 Bel Air, though it is 1/24 scale. You would need the 4 bolt rocker cover from the AMT '60 Chevy pickup to be 100% accurate.

If you want to pm me you email I will get you some pics, If you are looking for a stock look, I have some stock steel wheels as well I can photo and send, if your interested.

It is robdonaldson@roadrunner.com

Don't really want a stock look totally for this one, just some replacement tires for the junky glue-togethers that Revell used to specialize in a few years back to fit the custom wheels included with the original. And thinking ahead, there is also a 55 and 57 Chevy in the same kit (it was a 3 pack) so if you could come up with 12 total I'll buy them all for a reasonable rate. I used to hate Revell as a kid and those tires reminded me why:)