Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air-Trax new 1969 Chrysler 300

WOW !!!

Got mine about a week ago and I couldn't be happier!! Well maybe, if I had gotten two. The body looks and feels like plastic, and the only air bubbles I see are in the headliner. Not a biggie for me as those won't be visible, should I ever get to finish this. The kit comes with two tiny clear back up lights and two clear parking lights(?) for the grille, vacuformed front and rear windows and vacuformed back up light and parking lights(these might be dropped from the kit as he includes separate clear parts), separate bucket seats and a separate rear seat, separate door panels and the dashboard, steering wheel, front and rear bumpers, separate grill for the front bumper, four Chrysler recall mags, chassis plate and the photo etch fret with five Chrysler scripts(two sizes), two sets of T, H, R, E, E, H, U, N, D, R, E, D letters and two 3, 0, 0 numbers and the body and separate hood with molded on reinforcements. The body has the Chrysler and three hundred scripts molded on and 300 is molded on the rear bumper taillight panel. Detailed firewall is molded to the body. Open door handles are molded to the body as well.

The builder will need to source suitable parts from a donor kit for the engine and transmission and front and rear suspension pieces plus bits and pieces for the engine compartment. Revell's 1968 Charger could donate the running gear and plated door handles and rear axle. Front suspencion pieces will need modification though, as Juha used the front half of the chassis plate from the MPC '65 Monaco(?) and the rear half of the Revell '69 Charger to create the longer wheelbase for this Chrysler. If You put the Revell chassis side by side with this, there is a difference of about 1,5 cm.

All in all I am very happy with this and will definitely get me another one. Since the pics are too large, here is a link to the rest of the pics: http://public.fotki.com/Letukkamies/2011-02-13-air-trax/#media

Contact Tapani, in case You would like to get one. These sell for 90Euros + shipping.

post-1801-0-30941100-1297940325_thumb.jp

90 euro is about 120 dollars, but still spendy for a resin-body

Since Juha Airio did the master, you know it's going to be spot on in every way. Excellent work comes at a price. If you want the best, you have to be willing to pay for it, and I suspect quite a few people will be willing to pay.

It looks beautiful. :)

Looks like You guys are a tough crowd to please. Juha did the original master for the All American Models '70 Chrysler 300 out of a '70 Impala. He designed it in a way, that it could later be turned into the Hurst version as well. Only very few of those AAM kits were ever made. Some years later it was copied by R&R. Sure he made some changes, but it is quite obvious it was cast from the AAM kit. The parts count is not the same as it was with the AAM kit, and some parts were completely redone, who knows why - as they aren't correct for the '70 Chrysler 300. Right now I can't remember how many parts are in the R&R piece, but if my memory serves me right, it wasn't many.

OK, fast forward to 2009. Juha decides to redo the '70 as a '69. Several changes take place and the kit is further refined. He finds the time to create the artwork for the photoetch and has them done in another country and makes the vacuformed glass for it as well. Now the parts count for this kit is 21 + the vacuformed windows + the photoetch, not counting those vacuformed parking and backup lights, that probably will be deleted from the kit. The builder can choose to clue the hood shut like the R&R piece or leave it open to display the engine compartment. Your choice! I know I will be flaunting my engine, when I get to it.

As for a four door sedan becoming available, it's highly unlikely. Juha did the car twice, and I suspect it won't happen again. He's got other items in the works. There is a European four door sedan with fins and a flathead about to be cast next. It will be awhile before it's ready though. Can hardly wait for it myself.

The price is comparable to the quality of Juha's castings. The parts look like grey plastic and there is the photoetch to sweeten the deal. In my opinion this kit rates the highly recommended rating!

Tapani is the other half of Air-Trax and You can contact him at raurata@yahoo.com .

Tim Boyd was the first one in America to receive this kit, those in doubt can ask for his opinion about this kit. Juha is a friend of mine and my opinion might be biased, but ask around and You will find out more about his products. I couldn't be happier!!

From what I see, this is one beautiful kit. I have one of the AAM 1970 Chrysler 300 kits in my collection to be built. I have decided on the color combo for it. I am waiting for the weather to warm up so I can paint it. Sure the kit is expensive, but it is a unique subject, and everything fits.

• 2 weeks later...

The price is certainly a little steep but....look at the photos, this has an enormous amount of detail and is of a subject not yet done. And if Juha in fact used a 70 Impala as his starting point, all I can say is he did an amazing job in transforming one to the other. I would think the front end of a 69 Impala would have been easier to convert as it also used a loop type bumper but either way, Juha once again, has proven he has extraordinary talent. While it isn't in the budget right now, I can see getting one of these in the forseeable future.

WOW !!!

Got mine about a week ago and I couldn't be happier!! Well maybe, if I had gotten two. The body looks and feels like plastic, and the only air bubbles I see are in the headliner. Not a biggie for me as those won't be visible, should I ever get to finish this. The kit comes with two tiny clear back up lights and two clear parking lights(?) for the grille, vacuformed front and rear windows and vacuformed back up light and parking lights(these might be dropped from the kit as he includes separate clear parts), separate bucket seats and a separate rear seat, separate door panels and the dashboard, steering wheel, front and rear bumpers, separate grill for the front bumper, four Chrysler recall mags, chassis plate and the photo etch fret with five Chrysler scripts(two sizes), two sets of T, H, R, E, E, H, U, N, D, R, E, D letters and two 3, 0, 0 numbers and the body and separate hood with molded on reinforcements. The body has the Chrysler and three hundred scripts molded on and 300 is molded on the rear bumper taillight panel. Detailed firewall is molded to the body. Open door handles are molded to the body as well.

The builder will need to source suitable parts from a donor kit for the engine and transmission and front and rear suspension pieces plus bits and pieces for the engine compartment. Revell's 1968 Charger could donate the running gear and plated door handles and rear axle. Front suspencion pieces will need modification though, as Juha used the front half of the chassis plate from the MPC '65 Monaco(?) and the rear half of the Revell '69 Charger to create the longer wheelbase for this Chrysler. If You put the Revell chassis side by side with this, there is a difference of about 1,5 cm.

All in all I am very happy with this and will definitely get me another one. Since the pics are too large, here is a link to the rest of the pics: http://public.fotki.com/Letukkamies/2011-02-13-air-trax/#media

Contact Tapani, in case You would like to get one. These sell for 90Euros + shipping.

id like to see it when its done put it in the under glass section :)

Guys, 90Euros equals around $123 today here in Finland. I don't know how You've come up with the 180? I still think it is worth every dime!

Risto, that's my fault, I thought you just double the cost to change it from Euro's. Sorry 'bout that. But with Postage and Handeling from europe, it STILL comes out to too much for me. I have the R&R version, but it;ll NEVER be as nice as yours. Sorry 'bout the mix up.:):D

• 8 years later...
On 2/17/2011 at 6:13 AM, Risto said:

WOW !!!

post-1801-0-30941100-1297940325_thumb.jp

I bought one a few years back and I can say it's GORGEOUS!

I bought the '69 300, as well as his '78/'79 Chrysler, and while I haven't started the '69 yet, it's close to the top of the heap.

I owned a '69 Chrysler that I cloned into a 300 back in the mid to late '80s, and the resin kit is pretty much spot-on as far as I can see. Mine will be a bit of a custom, the way my 1:1 was. Never finished the 1:1 version but the resin one will be!

The '78/'79 Chrysler is very nice as well, and is active on my bench.

IIRC, I think I spent close to $300 CDN for both kits and shipping to Canada. I don't regret spending a nickel of that. :)