Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

fuel lines for my Freightliner FLC

I'm building the new Freightliner FLC and want to add fuel lines from the tanks to the engine. Need help with where they'd be connected to the tanks and to the engine.....trying to superdetail the truck, but am not very familiar with the inner workings of semi's. Any pics etc...would be helpful. Thanks. Jeff

There will be a main feed line and a return line that come off the top of one tank.

Sometimes the return is on one tank and the feed is on another.

between both tanks at the bottom there will be an equalizer line either at the front or rear end of the tank.

I'm building the new Freightliner FLC and want to add fuel lines from the tanks to the engine. Need help with where they'd be connected to the tanks and to the engine.....trying to superdetail the truck, but am not very familiar with the inner workings of semi's. Any pics etc...would be helpful. Thanks. Jeff

Hey Jeff, on all the fuel systems I've dealt with on trucks, there's a "bung" welded to the top of the fuel tank on the drivers side that has a draw tube in it for picking up the fuel. Next to that is another bung with a fitting for the return line. Then, on the bottom side of the fuel tanks, towards the inside of the chassis, there will be a pipe or a hose connecting the drivers side tank to the passenger side tank. This is so that the tanks stay "equalized" and the fuel is being drawn from both tanks at the same time. The fuel feed line will go from the tank to a fuel filter and usually a fuel separator (the separator usually looks just like the filter. Sometimes it has a clear bowl on the bottom.) From there, the feed line may go to a "lift pump" which is a small battery powered fuel pump. From there, the feed line goes to the injection pump. If there is no lift pump, the feed line goes from the filters straight to the injection pump. The injection pump sends the fuel to the injectors and any remaining fuel is returned to the fuel tank in the return line. One of our group members here, Kurt McLucas has made several decal sheets for super detailing trucks and truck engines. These include filter decals and all kinds of cool stuff!!!!! I hope this helps.

The engine in your kit is a Cummins NTC350 (if I remember correctly) and is very similiar to the Cummins in my avatar. You can see how I detailed mine as I built it in my "Smokey and the Bandit Kenworth" album on my Fotki site.

http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso

Edited by Ben