Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello, I am going to be building a Kenworth C500 bed truck. Not sure if its going to be a tandem tridem. I saw one time a tutorial on making a butterfly hood but now I am unable to find it. If someone knows of a good tutorial please let me know. Thanks

Actually Shaun, I don't think it was a tutorial by itself but was more of a tutorial mixed into a build thread. I remember finding it once before when someone else was looking for it, maybe I'll find it again! :unsure:

Well, for once the search function worked great!! :unsure: Here are the revant posts from the thread it is in.

2ikl6b.jpg

Here is what you need to made these hinges.I use plastic cement and crazy glue to put it together.

301d9av.jpg

For materials I use 1/16th aluminum tube, .032(.81mm) brass rod and thin sheet styrene.All cut to the same length.

i55h6d.jpg

Now score the aluminum tube with and x-acto knife to simulate a piano hinge, leave the brass rod in the tube when scoring.Then cut into three pieces.Use a small drill bit to clean out the tube after cutting. I leave the center section alittle larger.

1zp0g08.jpg

vy07fd.jpg

262mv6g.jpg

Now cut plastic strip to same length as the tube pieces and crazy glue to the edge of the strip.Then insert brass rod.

osbgjo.jpg

zwda8i.jpg

2rcsy9l.jpg

Here's the rest, had to do it in two posts due to the pics. :unsure:

With the hinge together glue the two ends onto one side of your project with plastic glue.

nyeclg.jpg

a2x8xh.jpg

And the center section to the other side.

14mq0n.jpg

This is what you end up with a hinge that can easily come apart for painting.

qn77kx.jpg

nr12f9.jpg

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

Tim, is there any way you could make this a pinned topic, please?