Model Cars Magazine Forum

Urethane Clear over Carbon Fiber Decals

I was shooting Urethane 3 part clear on tope of Scale Motosport Carbon Fiber Decals and it rsponded like there was some residue on the decals. I shot the same clear on some other decals and they were fine.

This is the second time I have had this trouble with these carbon fiber decals. Anybody know what might be happening?

:)

Edited by Len Woodruff

it may have had something to do with the setting solution or solvent if you used any of that when you applied the decals.

I had to use lots of the Microscale Micro Sol setting solution to get the decals to settle. What does the setting solution do to the decals that would affect the urethane?

:angry:

i'm guessing here that some residue from the setting solution or solvent may have reacted to the clear. i have had minor problems with that in the past with clear lacquer so i'd think it could be an issue with the urethane as well.

Any suggestions for cleaning up the residue? Carbon Fiber egenerally doesn't look correct without the clear coats.

:D

sorry, just used a very small amount of anti-bacterial soap that i have in the bathroom. seems to have worked out well for me.

just make sure you avoid any soaps that have stuff in them to moisturize your skin.

Thanks so much! I should have done it before I shot the clear. I will see what I can do tomorrow,

:)