Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testers Laquer Diamond Dust

I shot this through the can on a 67 Vette today, and it came our rough as hell. It feels like sandpaper. I stripped the body, and shot it again. Same result. Is it supposed to have that kind of texture? If it's the size of the metal flake, it would more than likely clog my AB wouldn't it? I love the way it looks and it would probably make for a great base coat.

Anyone who has used this one, feel free to share your experience with it, or if I'm doing something wrong, please do tell!

I shot this through the can on a 67 Vette today, and it came our rough as hell. It feels like sandpaper. I stripped the body, and shot it again. Same result. Is it supposed to have that kind of texture? If it's the size of the metal flake, it would more than likely clog my AB wouldn't it? I love the way it looks and it would probably make for a great base coat.

Anyone who has used this one, feel free to share your experience with it, or if I'm doing something wrong, please do tell!

Did you warm the can before spraying? I've found with the Testors lacquers that they spray better when warmed.

That being said, I'm pretty sure these are designed as a two stage paint system and come out best when they've been covered with the wet-look clear. Before the clear, they do seem to have a slight rough texture.

Tamiya clear lacquers ie red , blue , yellow , look absoutley incredable when applied over Testors silver diamond dust . If you have access to some you should definately check it out . Warm the can and be careful of the fumes ...twice as bad as Tamiya's , smell any ways .

Take care , and see you around the clubhouse ,

Steve D.

Warm it, shake for 15 min, move in.....shoots like glass, clear it and polish . I suspect that all 3 are the problem. This paint is thick, and if you try to mist...it will dry too quiclky..rough texture

I shoot lots of it and love it as it lays smooth....the Elke was taped twice over the diamond dust.None of thes had any color sanding done, only wetsanding the clear :)B)

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0929a.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg