Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another reason why I dislike ebay

I won an auction for four model kits and 10 days later the seller still has not shipped the kits. I contacted ebay a couple times and yesterday ebay finally got the seller to contact them. The seller just wants to give me my money back and keep the items because in the sellers own words "the items are worth 10 times what he [me] paid... I would rather take the negative feedback, return the money, and resell the items". I have twice refused a refund and since I have never asked for one he can't just send me one. So I am fighting it out with ebay. Apparently this practice is becoming more and more prevalent for sellers to do when they don't get the prices they want for an auction.

Sorry ebay sellers that is what an auction is sometimes you make your money and sometimes you don't. It's not the buyers fault. I won the auction fair and square. SEND ME MY STUFF.

Sorry ebay sellers that is what an auction is sometimes you make your money and sometimes you don't. It's not the buyers fault. I won the auction fair and square. SEND ME MY STUFF.

It's also not ebay's fault. The seller is the guy trying to pull a fast one here, not ebay.

It's also not ebay's fault. The seller is the guy trying to pull a fast one here, not ebay.

Yeah I agree. But while ebay is contacting and talking to the seller for me. They are not so much on my side. I have had three different ebay reps tell me to just take the money.

Edited by ra7c7er

Yeah I agree. But while ebay is contacting and talking to the seller for me. They are not so much on my side. I have had three different ebay reps tell me to just take the money.

Well, ultimately ebay can't make the seller send you the kits. About all they can do is ban him from the site, but he can always come back by signing on with a different computer/IP.

Maybe in this case the best thing to do is accept the refund before this guy gets even more unreasonable and even refuses to give you that, and stay away from his listings in the future. Call it a lesson learned. I'm sure the same kits will pop up again, from different sellers. Whenever you deal with the general public, whether it's through ebay or craigslist or anything else, there's always the chance you'll run into a crook or scammer. It's just part of the risk you take.

Ebay would like to sell them again and get more so why would they hold the seller to a contract like they do the buyers....??? Of course there's always mistakes after all we all are only human but to let the sale to run its course and then back out is wrong in my opinion....a mans worth is his word to me.

Quoted from ebay page:

As a seller, you're expected to:

Charge reasonable shipping and handling costs.

Specify shipping costs and handling time in the listing.

Follow through on your return policy.

Respond to buyers' questions promptly.

Be helpful, friendly, and professional throughout a transaction.

Make sure the item is delivered to the buyer as described in the listing.

For more information on meeting buyers' expectations, see our selling practices policy.

Keep in mind, too, that if you don't meet buyers' expectations, it can lead to:

A bad experience for you and the buyer

Low detailed seller ratings (DSRs)

Negative or neutral Feedback from buyers

A buyer opening a case in the Resolution Center to fix problems

Says last line, make sure the item is delivered to the buyer as describe in the listing. That doesn't tell the seller in this case to ship the items. I used to sell on ebay and would not get the price i wanted for an item, but i would still ship the items, its a case where the seller is just being childish, and should be banned, if he wanted more for the kits he should have started the auction higher than or do a buy now for the price he wanted. I too no longer sell or buy on ebay, as a buyer the shipping has gone up, even thou as a seller it cost way to much thru usps to ship just a 1lb model kit so i see the pros and cons for a buyer and seller but there are a lot more scammers on ebay now as sellers..........it in my opinion has become just one big flea market as far as prices go, i used to sell custom decals and 10 years ago you could sell them for a good price but now sellers start them at 1 penny and usually no one would bid more than that penny and the seller would try to rip you off on the shipping, just driving down the expectation of a buyer on what the cost of a good custom decal should cost, good luck to you on whatever decision you go with, im with you he decided to start out low, (not sure what the auction started at) and he should man up and send the kits, I cant believe he would risk a negative feedback because i would fight to make my customers happy because negative feedback and it didnt take much to drive down your rating. I would fight it too but if ebay cant make him send the kits make sure to at least leave him the worst feedback possible...............

Edited by Darren B

The fact is that many of the "evilbay" and "feebay" rants are completely misplaced.

Ebay is providing a service... a place where buyer and seller can interact. In return for providing that service, ebay charges certain fees, for two reasons: One, it costs money to host, maintain and constantly update a website/business, and two, ebay is a business, and their goal, like every business, is to make money. Considering the huge exposure of products that ebay provides, and all the various other services they provide, I think the fees they charge are completely reasonable.

And ebay has all sorts of procedures and practices in place to try and resolve buyer/seller disputes, weed out the bad guys, and keep the place operating smoothly. There are literally millions of ebay members. Imagine the job involved in trying to keep all of those people behaving themselves.

Sure, every once in a while a buyer or seller will try and pull a fast one. That's human nature, unfortunately... and ebay does a whole lot to try and keep that from happening. The rest–a measure of simple common sense–is up to each individual buyer and seller.

In my response I didnt dis ebay as a company overall, my comment that it has become one big flea market however is just my personal opinion and not there responsibility to set the starting price on any item , from the sellers stand point on custom car decals, you are right it is a service just more and more scammers out there in my opinion again. True it is up to the individual buyer and seller, you are totally correct on that stand point.

Edited by Darren B

In my response I didnt dis ebay as a company overall, my comment that it has become one big flea market

That's all it ever was! An online flea market. It's just gotten bigger over the years, but the basic operating model is exactly what it always has been.

And to make an analogy... if you go to an actual neighborhood flea market and you buy something from a seller and you get the item home, look it up online and find out that you paid way more than it's worth... is that the fault of the flea market? Of course not. They didn't set the price, and they didn't force you to buy. All they did was provide the forum where you and the sellers could interact. And even if the flea market organizers charge either a seller's fee, or an entrance fee for the buyers, or both, that's their right–because they are the ones offering the service, and they have the right to cover their costs (and even make a profit). Why would they organize and stage the flea market for free? Why should ebay provide their service for free?

you can't really hold it against ebay. there not the ones not sending your item. I've only had 2 times out of 200+ where i didn't get my item, both times i got my money back yea it sucks but if you found it once for a good deal chances are you'll find another one for a good deal. I know I've found both kits I didn't get for better prices later on down the road.

I write down any sellers or buyers who give me trouble and add them to my banned user list I also wont bid on items form these people

As far as high shipping rates that just means I won't bid as much on one. I've scored some good deals on items with high shipping rates. scored a foxxy box van sealed inside for 18.99. .99 for item 18.00 to ship high shipping but over all fair price, scored an A team van cheap over high shipping think i got it for under 25.00 shipping was around 15.00 still a good deal, also scored a bud car hauler set with funny car for under 50.00 over high shipping forget what it was but it was high

If they didn't want it to sell that cheap than they should have started it higher or put a reserve on the item. I've sold some hard to find kits for low prices but always list them for a price i can deal with because sometimes no mater how hard it is to find or how rare it is only one person will be looking for it and it takes 2 to drive the price up. like when i sold some old screw bottom 68 gtos sold 2 for over 40.00 and they where in bad shape incomplete with body damage then few weeks later found another one that had every thing but the motor even had the clear hood and it only sold for 12.00 only one guy bid on it. sucked but i still made money on it. I don't care what a kit is worth because if I'm not going to build it it has no value to me. I normally don't buy kits to resell but sometimes I have to buy a complete collection to get a few good ones and then i will sell off the rest

i think ebay works good if you do your homework on what ever you are buying or selling, fees are getting a little high for small sellers like me. but where else do you go i know there's other places but ebay just has a larger customer base vs other places

I won an auction for four model kits and 10 days later the seller still has not shipped the kits. I contacted ebay a couple times and yesterday ebay finally got the seller to contact them. The seller just wants to give me my money back and keep the items because in the sellers own words "the items are worth 10 times what he [me] paid... I would rather take the negative feedback, return the money, and resell the items". I have twice refused a refund and since I have never asked for one he can't just send me one. So I am fighting it out with ebay. Apparently this practice is becoming more and more prevalent for sellers to do when they don't get the prices they want for an auction.

Not sure what you bought or who the seller was, but, speaking from experience, you are fighting a losing battle. Get your refund, leave the seller negative feedback and go on. It happened to me once. It was from a seller who was selling a collection of vintage built models from his father. He didn't like the final price of the one I won and he refunded my money. Dad said that the model was worth much more than it sold for. I complained to Ebay to no avail.

A few months later, seller sells entire lot to a third party who proceeds to sell the models on Ebay. I won the auction for the very same model from the new seller and got it for less money than I originally paid. Take your money and be patient. You will find the same models again on Ebay and if you are patient, you will most likely get them for the same or less money than before.

Would like to know what the Seller ID is... ;)

Would like to know what the Seller ID is

Yes, eBay doesn't sell items, sellers do.

It would make sense to say "I will never buy from this seller" than "never from eBay". Without beating a dead horse, eBay is a selling forum. It is not to blame for lame sellers. Sellers with poor ratings get less for items than sellers with 100% feedback, so this seller is an idiot to think his items are worth more than proper customer service.

Get your money back and move on.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

E bay is ok if you know how to work it number one Check the Feed backs 2 don't buy from folk that have bad feedback ratios 5000 good and one bad might not be a bad seller read the feed back and decide.

100 with3 or4 is probably not a good seller. 12 with good feed back like i have can be good or bad is just a newbie or not very active read what few they have and then decide.

if you get bad service leave bad or no feed back. as a warning to the rest of us.

yesterday i listed a model "T" head it sold in the first ten min for my Buy it now price. and i don't mind paying E bay for that kind of service.

my shipping cost was much higher than i expected but i shipped any way a lesson learned .

treat folk like you want to be treated and Frack the rest.

I have been buying vintage 60's model car kits & related memorabilia for several years now & I can honestly say the vast majority of my Ebay purchasing experiences have been pleasant ones...items quickly shipped , nicely packaged & as advertised. I can only think of two cases where the seller failed to come through...once when I won a vintage late 50's tube of Revell Type "S" styrene glue ( still soft in the tube..ahhh , the childhood memories ! ) The seller couldn't ship it..said his daughter used it to glue something back together.The other case was when I won an original Ed Roth "Road Agent" kit in near mint condition..the seller informed me that he couldn't locate it in his inventory...I suspect he didn't like my winning bid & it got "lost" somehow. But what can you do? Forgive, forget, move on.

It's a hobby after all..not life or death.