Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for the Pro's

I have a special question for all of you pro model builders. Does anyone make mobile home type wheels in 1:24, 1:25 scale? Years ago I used to transport mobile homes and I want to duplicate my '74 Ford LNT 9000 mobile home toter along with a scale mobile home. I'm talking about a 1:24 or 1:25 scale 14' x 95' mobile home. The mobile home will be built from original blue prints and in detail. Stubs, joists, rafters etc. The frame will be scratch built as well but am having problems with the wheels for the mobile home. First off, they are 14.5" dia. I know that I can go through all of the trouble to fabricate one then make a mold and cast them in resin but trying to avoid that as I am retired now and on a very low fixed income. Bad enough the base model for the toter is close to $50.00. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's been about 20 years since I've built any thing and I see all of the changes in the industry and the cost increase that goes with it. Thanks again. Phil aka "Shanty Shaker" P.S. enclosed are some pictures of what I am looking to create.

2693trailerpart.jpg

582trailerpart.jpg

508trailerpart.jpg

Your in luck! Revell made some race cars, there were a couple different versions and these cars used a wheel very similar to that. It even has a separate hub/spoke section. I used them on the toter I built years ago. I think they're your best bet without having to make one from scratch. You can see pics of my International S series toter in my Fotki albums: http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso

The pics are in the "some in progess models" folder.

MVC-085F-1.jpg

MVC-086F-1.jpg

Edited by Ben

That's a nice looking toter. I did my '74 Ford LNT 9000 back in '76 and my box on the back was similar to yours. My unit carried a total of 685 gals of fuel. Two 50 gal side tanks, 35 gal seat tank and 450 gal in a tank that was part of the tool box unit in front of the block carrier. Unfortunately due to various moves since then, all of that was lost as well as tons of pictures. I was the primary driver for a dealer who had 7 sales lots through out the state on New Mexico and I hauled all of the homes from the different factories to all of the lots. Then, while I was at the lots, would deliver to parks etc. Then back on the road again. (Sounds like a song I know, "Back on the Road Again"). Use to deliver on the average of 30 homes a month from each lot. Lot of mileage in a short time for sure. My truck had Bud Rims on it, which are the same as the mobile home rims except larger of course. Will eventually get everything under control and get er done as they say. Probability will end up fabricating one from scratch and then casting the rest. Will wait and see, have nothing but time now. Nice work on the rest of your stuff. Looked at a lot of it. Hope I can have mine turn out as good. Only time will tell.

Phil

I have a set of Fred's wheels that I'm not using and can send to you. They're pretty close but the center hub is rounder then the picture you showed. Contact me through my email at rpmgovenor@msn.com and I'll send you a couple of pictures. If they're good, they're yours.

Rob