Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well... For my 05 Shelby Mustang build, I have been wondering about this.

When I dry fit my rims to the chassis and body, the wheels are just a little too wide to fit into the wheel wells unless they stick out a little. Is there anyone who makes compatible body kits for 05 Mustangs? Or is this a scratch build thing? As well as a racing spoiler... Much appreciated if any of you could help!

you could try to sand some material off of the rim's mounting points to shorten them down a little bit so that they won't stick out as much. Or you can cut some material off of where it mounts on the chassis, whichever way works better so that it won't compromise the way the wheels attach to the chassis. Can you post pics of the inside of the wheel and the chassis where it mounts? I forget exactly what it looks like.

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

Sorry for the shaky pic

DSC01092.jpg

I'm more worried about the rear tires, since they are wider than the front ones. And this pic is without the brake calibers in place, as well as the rims not being placed on the axles. I just rested the body of the car on them because in reality the body would only be about 1 or 2 16th's higher than it is.

The rears are about 1/16th out, the fronts are pretty dang close to even with the body. But again that's without the brakes... and I still need to find a way to put them on the axles.

Hope that helps, and Explorer, those are sweet, I wish I could use those because they would help so much with the theme I'm going for... :unsure:

you are making this into a sort of racecar, right? The rears could be covered by using some thin sheet styrene and making a set of fender flares that are just wide enough to cover the tires, and mold them in place and shape them with a good 2 part putty. Something like on the quarter panels of this '05 Mustang:

05_mustanghotwheelswidebodyrf.jpg

05_mustanghotwheelswidebodycomplete.jpg

OR, another trick you could do, see if you can trade somebody on here for a spare Revell '05 Mustang body. Once you get that, cut the quarter panels off of it and use those to add width to the rear of yours, and sand/putty/shape them to fit. I'd cut them along the door line and over the top of the quarter panel so that you have enough material to work with. It will look something like this:

IMG_3835_copy.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg