Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is my old BMW. It's a 1983 R80ST - basically an R80/GS with street tires and an R60 (I think) front end. It was probably the most fun to ride motorcycle I've ever had. This one has been repainted by a previous owner - they only came in metallic red or silver with a silver engine. Since then, I've owned a 88 Kawasaki Concours and my current ride, a 2007 Gold Wing.

P1010015.JPG

rental was a Contour and I wanted to keep it.

A number of years ago I rented a silver PT Cruiser in Florida. I believe it was from Enterprise. Upon returning it the agent asked me how I liked it, and I replied, "Good enough that I'd buy it and drive it back to New Jersey!" He hit a few buttons and quoted me a price! Apparently everything is for sale! No I didn't buy it.

A number of years ago I rented a silver PT Cruiser in Florida. I believe it was from Enterprise. Upon returning it the agent asked me how I liked it, and I replied, "Good enough that I'd buy it and drive it back to New Jersey!" He hit a few buttons and quoted me a price! Apparently everything is for sale! No I didn't buy it.

I've driven them and found them to be tinny. I was going to buy one but I chose the HHR Panel instead. Doesn't sound tinny when you shut the doors.

Nice, I like the wheels and kit on it. A while back I had a Hyundai and had a accident,rental was a Contour and I wanted to keep it.

Thanks .

I've always been a diehard Mopar fan, but this thing kind of fell in my lap and was cheap enough I couldn't pass it up.

Primary purpose is to fix and resell it but if I get stuck with it , it wouldnt break my heart to keep it a while as a play toy. 190 horse V6 and 5 spd is fun

I wanted a Beetle back in '71. We could not strike a bargain.............I'm glad I waited............

I wanted a New Beetle the first time I saw one. I had passed a dealer that had just gotten them in and even with the dealership closed there were people looking them over and the windows all had fingerprints on them. So I found one I liked, a red one with a 5 speed, and went back the next day with my Geo Tracker to trade in and a bank check. I figured there would be no bargaining so I was prepared to pay the list price.

A salesman approached me, and I told him I was interested in this one. He just sneered at me that me and everyone else wanted that car. He said bids were starting at $2000 over list, but if I wanted one I'd need to give them a $1000 deposit to get on the waiting list. No telling how long. No picking out your car. When your number came up, what ever car (color / options / whatever) was chosen for you, you had the choice to take it or forfeit your deposit. He was so surely and rude!

So my question to him was "How much money did you just make NOT selling me a car?" I told him if he was half a salesman, he would have been nice, would have gotten my contact information and would have tried to sell me something else that he had in inventory. Then I left. I did send a letter to VW but never got a reply. And six months later when they were begging people to buy Beetles, I wasn't interested!

And the funny thing? I still have the Tracker!

Edited by Tom Geiger

We have two 2013 Jettas in the family and they are great cars.

What is the reliability of Volkswagen these days? I know two people who got rid of New Beetles because they were always paying for repairs. I recently worked with a woman who would tell you she loved her Jetta.. I personally witnessed it being towed out of our company lot twice. Both different computer / electrical problems.

Many years ago I worked with a guy who had a huge poster of a Peugeot diesel over his desk. So I asked and he told me what a great car it was and how he wouldn't own anything else. Then another guy in the office whispered to me, "Ask him about the time it stranded him on vacation in upstate New York and had to be towed hundreds of miles to the nearest dealer!" He also said the Peugeot dealer was on his way to work, so he got to pick this guy up there when the car was being repaired... often! But still this guy would crow on about what a great car it was!

What is the reliability of Volkswagen these days? I know two people who got rid of New Beetles because they were always paying for repairs. I recently worked with a woman who would tell you she loved her Jetta.. I personally witnessed it being towed out of our company lot twice. Both different computer / electrical problems.

Many years ago I worked with a guy who had a huge poster of a Peugeot diesel over his desk. So I asked and he told me what a great car it was and how he wouldn't own anything else. Then another guy in the office whispered to me, "Ask him about the time it stranded him on vacation in upstate New York and had to be towed hundreds of miles to the nearest dealer!" He also said the Peugeot dealer was on his way to work, so he got to pick this guy up there when the car was being repaired... often! But still this guy would crow on about what a great car it was!

I've heard that a few too many times on VW's any more too. Sounds like if you get an actual German built one, they're good, but if they're built anywhere, not so much......kinda to the point they're either fantastic or a lemon. One of the guys that used to go on the Cherokee owners forum I still visit had a neighbor who alwys talked up about how great his VW's and Audi's were compared to the American vehicles like the '98 Cherokee like this guy had and was always quick to come over and gloat when the Jeep was up in the air or had the hood up (until he found out it was undergoing things like oil changes, tire rotations, brake service, basic maintenence stuff......and was over 200k miles) while this guy thouht at one point his neighbor had just given up bought a tow truck to haul the VW and Audi to the dealer himself and cut out a middle man during one of the many times they were broken. Another member had a more recent diesel VW and had so many issues with it she finally lemon lawed it and bought a Nissan Leaf as a daily driver when those first dropped (has been more reliable from what I understand too!) and saved her XJ for a trail/need a truck for the job at hand rig.

My new Beetle is now 18 months old. I have had one issue that the dealer fixed. ONE! Driver's side back seat didn't fold down properly. They gave me a loaner car, apologized many, many times, fixed the seat, filled the tank, and washed the car! I bought the diesel with a 6 speed automatic. Prior to this car I owned a new '04 Jetta 5 spd. manual trans. That car was the best car i ever owned. It had 105 K when I traded it for the BUG. In the 8 years I owned it I replaced the tires 3x, the battery once, changed the oil and put fuel in it! THAT WAS IT! I hope the Beetle I bought is as great as that Jetta was. There are a lot of bells and whistles on my Beetle. My old Jetta on a trip down I-95 got 59.75 MPG.....that's not a type-o. My new one gets 40 mpg. New one is automatic with 40 more HP. Makes a difference in fuel mileage. I have only one regret so far, I wish I would have opted for the manual trans. To date that is my only regret.