Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone here play guitar?

And not to ruin this party here on this Thread......... But I haven't read anything about modeling here, or saw any model pictures....

LOL... Even the Moderator chimed in on it... Cool... Rock on "dudes"...

I do use guitar strings of all types & sizes extensively in my models. Everything from fuel lines, brake lines, throttle linkage to big honkin bass strings as custom radiator hoses! Even nylon strings for fuel lines. Thin strings make great antennas. Turn signal & shift levers. Usage is endless! Remember curb feelers? Edited by Bartster

Funny, but my grandson had a school assignment to research and make an instrument (5th grade). Since he chose guitar I got out my granddaughter's Ibanez that she quit playing shortly after i bought it for her. I tried playing it a bit but my hands/fingers just wouldn't make the positions and those strings felt like knives. I sighed and remembered the beautiful Martin D18 dreadnaught I had gotten by trading in my big Gibson bass amp back in 1966. I was heading off to college and staying with the moderately successful band we had formed just wasn't in the picture at all. Great fun, made some good money for high school kids, but college was a "must" back then. I always wondered if it was the right decision since Uncle Sam had plans for me anyway.

But that Martin was the best guitar I ever laid hands on. I lowered the bridge a bit and got the action so smooth even my klutzy fingers made some nice sound when I practiced enough. I wasn't the greatest bass player before that so even a great 6 string was a bit of a challenge. But I loved Bob Dylan and the rest of the folk performers of the day (I still have the 1964 Bob Dylan song book with guitar applications that I got from his promoter at a concert back then) so I kept at it. The Martin made me want to play but I have to confess I just didn't have near the talent at my fingers that my ears could hear.

I sold the Martin a few years later for money to go to a life-changing Christian summer retreat. It was well worth it, but I always thought I'd get another and try again. Funny how time just blows by us when we grow up and have responsibilities and families. At replacement cost of well over $3000 I just have too many more important things to spend money on than another one.....but it sure was a nice time and a nice memory. I can at least feel grateful that my daughter (philharmonic violist) and one son (college graduate in performance trombone/low brass) kept working with their talent and made the best of it. :)

Oh, yeah...for those who wonder if sticking with it is worth it, two of my son's friends who he played with in bands all through school are members of the "Killers" and "Panic at the Disco". It sure paid off for them.

Edited by deja-view

I do use guitar strings of all types & sizes extensively in my models. Everything from fuel lines, brake lines, throttle linkage to big honkin bass strings as custom radiator hoses! Even nylon strings for fuel lines. Thin strings make great antennas. Turn signal & shift levers. Usage is endless! Remember curb feelers?

Absolutely Bart. I find that the high E guitar string is perfect for antenna's and the round wound D guitar string makes a great fuel line on a chassis, and also curb feelers. Even though I played Bass, I never thought of using Bass strings for radiator hoses... Great idea. I have used transmission seal springs and girls spring bracelets for radiator hoses... They sort of look like Cool-flex hoses.

Bronze wound acoustic strrings I use as carb return springs. The cheaper the better, it's easier to get the core out & stretch the cheap strings! Still a tough procedure, I'm successful about 4 out 5 times,lol. But it looks VERY realistic!The ends can be bent exactly like the 1:1 to attach to carb linkage & wharever accessory brackt is on that side.

Here are mine: the orange is a '63 i am second owner. the black is the Japanese made version but updated with real pickups and heavy guage wiring. All set up by Joe Compagna in Chicago. They both play identically, like butter.

HPIM0583.jpg

IM JEALOUS OF YOUR 63'! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Here are mine: the orange is a '63 i am second owner. the black is the Japanese made version but updated with real pickups and heavy guage wiring. All set up by Joe Compagna in Chicago. They both play identically, like butter.

HPIM0583.jpg

Oh, man....Gretsch. Our lead player had a Gretsch Country Gentleman that was smooth as silk and had such a rich sound it would make us drool on his leads. I rarely see anyone using those amazing guitars anymore.

But speaking of rare guitars, my sister-in-law is a professinal perfomer in the Reno area and she has tucked away in her "vault" a Mosrite 1976 Anniversary model (signed and with paperwork) that was the last one out before the factory burned. She has contemplated selling it a few times, but never followed through. Mosrites were such great pieces back then.....if one had the skills to play them.

Bronze wound acoustic strrings I use as carb return springs. The cheaper the better, it's easier to get the core out & stretch the cheap strings! Still a tough procedure, I'm successful about 4 out 5 times,lol. But it looks VERY realistic!The ends can be bent exactly like the 1:1 to attach to carb linkage & wharever accessory brackt is on that side.

Great tip, Bart. I've been winding wire around pins for years to get those springs....or pulling the filaments out of light bulbs. Doh! And, you're right. I should just plink away and enjoy it.

Just a note of encouragement for Andy

I started playing when I was 13, totally self-taught. I'll be 54 this coming April and it was just over a year ago I decided to (finally...) go for some pro-lessons. The difference in my playing improved almost as fast as I could take the lessons. Not that I'm a shred-master like Billy Sheehan or Geddy Lee, but it definitely helped.

As long as I can hold down a string and use a finger or my thumb to smack it, I'll be playing.

And not to ruin this party here on this Thread......... But I haven't read anything about modeling here, or saw any model pictures....

LOL... Even the Moderator chimed in on it... Cool... Rock on "dudes"...

Well since no models have beem talked about or shown here I guess I will make a post about it. Here are a couple model builds done by some guys at another model forum I am a member of. These guitars are made of paper and can be found at this site if you wanna try your hand at building them. http://www.paperguitar.com/ They have a wide selection of guitars. They also have amps and stands if you search around the site.

post-9191-0-87157300-1328892497_thumb.jp

post-9191-0-23353400-1328892854_thumb.jp

Edited by Inky

Has anyone here ever tried making a cigar box resonator? I've seen a whole bunch of builds on YOUTUBE and those guys make it look easy. And they sound very cool. I think there are kits you can buy too.

You will never believe this, but I'm just in the process of building a cookie box.

• 3 weeks later...

I recorded a video of my current playing :D

So, compare my early playing:

th_100_1316.jpg

To my current playing: (Well, I hope you will be able to see it)

http://www.facebook....263600587052343

Both from Rush's Working Man. What do you think? I REALLY have to adjust my settings though, the distortion just has too much feedback and all.

Edited by SuperStockAndy

I offered a bit but didn't show my prized baby? For shame...

Here is my recently repainted 1985 Gibson explorer. I have owned it since new, and while I've owned many other fine guitars in all the years since, it remains my main guitar. A few famous people have played this guitar over the years [Names witheld] and it is currently with its last of its 5 finish changes. I own a few other guitars but this is what I play mostly these days. It's been on stages with 15 drunks in the room. It's been on stage with 2,500 raging nutjobs moshing as well.

But mostly it's been my #1.

Recently repainted in a color I custom mixed for it called Sunset Orange Metallic, I also finally went to EMG pickups as well. I was a DiMarzio guy for over 20 years until recently. It now houses the brand new JH EMG set and it screams like a demon through my ENGL Pwerball II. The Kahler was put on the first year I got it and is a PAF model. As old a Kahler as you can get aside from a prototype. I changed the nut to a Graphtek a couple of years ago. i wish I had known about them sooner. I have the neck natural with Tung oil for a slicker feel with a Gibson Custom Shop point for the look. Paint is catalyzed Martin Senour with a clear coat from the same maker. New Grovers round out the rebuild.

Enjoy

2lxjabo.jpg

314xv75.jpg

13zqqaa.jpg

2yy5nvc.jpg