Model Cars Magazine Forum

Challengum!- Back at it

Ryan S.

That is turning out quite nicely !! I remember Chip Foose doing something similar on Overhaulin' a few years back. I like the two real cars that you posted with the Black with Red or Charcoal colors on the body... I think you should go along that route with your paint job and make it a two tone... Maybe Black and Hemi-Orange ?? Keep up the great work on this one !!

OOoooooh! NICE combo! Talk about having colors POP. Black & Hemi-Orange..... wow.

I might use that myself on a project. shhhh.gif

Hey, thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments. Still not 100% on the paint choice, but I found this picture on line and I really like the sleekness of the silver. I might go a little darker than this one, and I'm considering the 2-tone option too.

22_inch_kmc_nova_staggered_wheels_dodge_magnum_gray.jpg

It's been all body work and lot of sanding last night and still at it today. It's been raining all day today so I'm going to try to get another coat of primer on it again tomorrow and see where it's at.

As promised, here's some primer shots. Still more work to do on the front wheel arches and the bottom lip of the front as well, but it's coming a long.

I've worked on the front suspension some and got it lowered a little. I still might try and get the tires a little more inward though.

DSCN4318.jpg

DSCN4316.jpg

DSCN4315.jpg

DSCN4313.jpg

Looking good! what color are you gonna paint it?

Still undecided on the paint and the paint scheme. I'm thinking of going with a dark-ish metallic on the lower half and black on the top with the rim spokes blacked out. But I'm still not sure. I saw part of the movie "The Dilemma" with Vince Vaughn in it last night and he drives a blue Challenger and I thought it looked really slick, so I might go that way with it.

Had to go back to the drawing board a little with this one. Trying to sand the fender flares and getting them to match wasn't working out. So I've sanded them off completely and I'm going to attempt to make my own with some thin sheet plastic and some patients. Wish me luck!

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, no progress to report right now. All the models went back in boxes during a very busy December and the first part of January isn't much better! When things slow down a little bit this one will be pulled back out first and you all will be the first to see it!

• 1 month later...

Well, well, well...here we are again! :D

After finishing the Lightning, I decided to pull this bad boy out and see if I can resurrect it from the dead. Since we last left off I removed the front fender flares completely and now I'm attempting to remake them. The good news: if this works I'll be well on my way to seeing it done. The bad news: if it doesn't work or doesn't look good, I'm going to need another Magnum and Challanger body to start over with :( . So, wish me luck with this!

Here's some pictures of where I left it this morning after gluing in the start of the new flares. They will be trimmed back and I'm going to do my best to get them to look like the rears. I see a lot more filling and sanding in my future. :blink: Here goes!

I used thin "for sale" sign plastic for the flaring.

I snapped these quickly with my cell phone, so sorry for some blurriness.

20120228_121541.jpg

20120228_121532.jpg

20120228_121517.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got some more time to put back into this project. Been working up the new front wheel wells/flares today.

I trimmed the flares back so that they match up with the wheel wells, then covered the opening with some thin sheet plastic (for-sale sign) and carefully cut and carved them to match up the curve. After that, I gave it some rough sanding to get the basic shape and fit.

After that, I hit it with some high-build primer to get it ready for another round with Bondo. Here's the pix before I got the Bondo on it, and some mock-ups after the break.

20120403_133518.jpg

20120403_133526.jpg

20120403_134659.jpg

20120403_134714.jpg

20120403_134639.jpg

Here's a few more. I'm hoping that with some Bondo work, I can get it to a point that I'm happy with it and I can move on to paint and putting together the rest of it. We'll see. I'll be putting some more work into it over the next few days. Thanks for looking!

20120403_162823.jpg

20120403_162837.jpg

20120403_162853.jpg

20120403_162924.jpg

20120403_163027.jpg

Guest JamesDE

That is killer!! Man I am diggin the front end conversion..... Please keep going with it!

Edited by JamesDE