Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ya ever had that one detail that really hangs up a project??

A few weeks ago, I ran into a problem with the interior on my '69 Vette. It's a stupidly simple detail that when finished won't even be noticed unless you know it wasn't originally there. I had originally planned on just using some red-painted medical tape for a headliner and calling the underside of the body done. That plan went to heck when I was test fitting the main roll cage hoop using my red interior tub and spare body. As I was looking into the side window checking for clearance I noticed how horrible the voids on each side of the rear window looked. For whatever reason, both Revell and AMT chose to mold their coupes' sail panels on each side of the rear window hollow. The Revell kit I understand as it was originally kitted as a roadster and the detail from the door panels down is excellent. Now, had I been using black or another dark color it wouldn't have been as noticeable but bright red shows off the glaring omission.

Here are the panels that are missing:

The interior quarter panels

e993b28a.jpg

e993b28c.jpg

The rear window header panel

e993b363.jpg

How it all comes together

e993b021.jpg

For some reason this has really been a complex chore for me. There's a lot a concave surfaces coming together in a small space and I've added the complication that I'm trying to scratch it up in my spare body and then move the whole thing into my already finished body (I really don't want to mess up the paint while I experiment).

Oh yeah, since I'm gonna have to fix that detail I'm might as well do the underside of the T-Tops too.

e993ad00.jpg

Join the club, I have many a stalled project. Some are even in the 90% completion state. And some things are really simple to fix or come up with a solution.

I have a Revell '40 Ford and I'm stuck on painting the black trim around the windshield. It looks like ###### no matter what I try. Black foil, chrome foil, black acrylic paint, Sharpies... nothin' looks good enough on it.

at some point you just have to admit to yourself its just a model and get on with it. thats what i keep telling myself and its how i get projects done.

Good advice. It would sure feel good to know that the back side of the dashboard is detailed and fully wired, but who cares. I like to build factory stock, but I still guess a lot, and try to use whatever I happen to have at hand. As long as the model looks good and believable, I'm perfectly happy with it.

And after all, who's going to know if the model is 100% correct or not? If a knows-it-all comments on the shotcuts I have taken, I usually say: "Don't you know that they were built like that January-February 1965, due to the delivery problems after the eartquake/strike/cholera outbreak?". That usually sends them back to their library for a while. :wink:

I have one of those. :x I know this detail can be done, as I have seen it before on another builder's model. They look easier than they are. I finally decided after 12 years it was time to at least work around that part. :wink: I usually do body work last anyhow, so I finished the engine, and the frame is almost done. Just a detail or two more before I can paint it. I finished the sleeper, also. It's a door hinge for this particular truck. It's a different setup than most trucks. I know it can be done.

I know know what you mean....... I started a charger 500 a while back,

but because I was using the revell kit, I was at odds on what to use for a grill. so it sat for a long time. I finally ended up making one........found out it wasnt that tough after all.

mark townsley

at some point you just have to admit to yourself its just a model and get on with it.

How true that is! Sometimes we can take the fun out of it, although I love building a detailed model. I guess you just have to step back, balance yourself, and remember that we do this for enjoyment, not stress.

You hit me hard with this one Lobbs. My issue? Trying to color match a hood for a 69 Shelby painted in Grabber Orange. I had two different tries at it with two different parts. One things for sure afgter this ordeal: I know which stripper strips what paint. Anyway, I finished my third try earlier this week and it still was not right. The hood has a slightly darker/grayer tinge to it, even though the exact same materials (Tamiya light gray primer, Testors Grabber orange paint, and Tamiya clear) were used on both the body and the hood! Well three is a charm and this time I decided to "live with it" Too bad because overall I did a pretty good job overall and that and (another issue on the tailpanel) slightly dim a pretty bright star. I should have pictures over the weekend.