Model Cars Magazine Forum

6th Annual 24hr Build

OK, mark your calendars! The 6th Annual 24 hour build will coincide with the running of the 50th 24 hours of Rolex at Daytona. Jan 28th & 29th, 2012. Start at noon on Jan 28th and end at noon Jan 29th. Lots of fun.

If you need more info you can contact me at wildrice90@yahoo.com or on Facebook

Hey Bobby, I looked on your site, didn't find any "official rules", like can parts be cut from sprues & prepped ahead of time, etc. How do you "police" the build, with camera timestamps?

Very interested in doing this, but would like more info. Thanks!

OK. Only real rules are. Start with a new build. Allowed to glue 4 parts to body.(this allows glue to gas out) You may wash parts. Body has to be painted(Brolin Rule). Just post pics as you build. Need you guys to email me pic of build and your info(name hometown and link to Fotki or Photobucket site) so I can forward it to Gary to post on his Fotki site so everyone can see who is building and where they are at.

This will be my 5th 24hr Build. Its a blast. We have a lot of fun. Get some car movies and let the fun begin.

Any other questions just ask.

I'm thinking seriously about it. Do you guys kind of stay online for 24 hours and post in-progress photos too?

We post pics as we go to Fotki site. Gary lists everyone thats doing the 24hr Build on his Fotki site. That way you can check on everyone.

Alrighty then,

I am in with a Revell McDonald's Firebirde funny car. I maybe nuts to try and build this kit in 24 hours but it should be fun. Besides I picked this kit up yesterday for $10, so nothing to loose.

Of course this will be built box stock. Maybe I'll add wires to the engine.

97fcmd12.jpg

Rob

Do you have a link to Fotki or Photobucket where u will be posting pics?

Almost time for the 24 hour build to start! I'm going to try to participate but I may have to take a break tonite to go out with my wife...that is..if she's feeling alright to go. Otherwise..I'll stay home and keep on truckin! I have chosen a kit that I built as a young teenager in the 60's...The Surf Woody!

Here are all the parts laid out...waiting for noon to arrive!

102_1453-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And here's the Boxart. This kit can be built 3 ways...this is the way I want to build it...just like the Boxart.

102_1454-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A half hour to start time! This should be fun!

Okay..it's about 1:30 and here's where I'm at so far.

This is the body painted in Testors Aluminum Buffing Metalizer. It's the base coat for the Kandy paint. I used this because it dries super fast and you just buff it with a soft flannel cloth and it's ready for the kandy paint in literally minutes!

102_1456-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

While the aluminum was drying I cut out the woodgrain decal sheet and applied it to the side panels....

102_1459-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Also got the basic engine together. I'm using Zap-A-Gap green superglue with Zip Kicker for everything on this build...

102_1461-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And here's the body with 2 coats so far of HOK Kandy Scarlett. This stuff dries quickly too...especially in the dehydrator!

102_1460-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Come on you guys...where are the rest of you????

Almost 4 hours into this 24 hour thing. Engine coming along.....

102_1462-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Chassis coming along too.....

102_1463-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Body with 5 or 6 coats of HOK Kandy Scarlett. The stuff along the mid body line that looks krinkly or like bad orange peel is actually woodgrain molded into that trim line. Will have to paint that later...

102_1464-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The flash has washed it out a little...it's actually darker...more like the previous pic....

102_1465-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Just an hour into the build I have sanded an primered the body with Tamiya white primer. I have now completed to coats of white paint to the body. Now is time to let it dry and work on the rest.

I have also painted the chassis graphite using krylon quick drying paint.

Some of the chrome parts are now sitting in a bath of bleach to remove the chrom. I will paint those a chrome silver once they dry.

The engine halves are together and painted aluminum.

DSCN0696.jpg

Phew, this is like a horse race here.