Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Die Cast Opinions

Die cast models got off to a bad start, mostly because they we not introduced as models for art's sake, but for monitary investment. One of the big cautions of the introductory years, was don't remove them from the box because you'll ruin they're value. This turned many of us "real modelers" against them. Right or wrong, these models had to earn their place in the modeling world. It was through modelers such as those found on forums such as this one, that they were removed from their boxes, and became "individualized". It took the modelers to turn them from an investment into a work of art. When I see what people are doing with die cast now, I have to admit that I'm blown away.

I'm not sure about die cast as its own section. A plus is that having a seperate section would draw attention to the medium, by having it exposed. It would be easy to just click on and go check it out. There's a seperate section for resin, and I've never even noticed it, so this could also be a negative. I'm mostly a big rig truck modeler, so the first place I go is to the truck section. This is what would happen with die cast modelers, as their medium would be placed in its own bubble. They would have a place to showcase their work, but with limited exposer to others. Showcasing their models in with the mainstream models introduces others to what can be done with the medium, but having their own section, means that somebody who is biased against die cast, wouldn't have an arguement by sticking their nose into the "private" section.

I currently only have a couple of complaints against die cast models. The first is the weight; 1/24 and smaller are not much of a problem, but larger scales can really be a pain. The second only relates to larger scale models, and that's the size as they take up a lot of display space, but as my wife says "You build truck models, and you're complaining about the space these take up!", so with that in mind, lets just move on.

Good & bad are both found in whatever direction you choose to take in presenting this classification. I would lean towards leaving the models in with the mainstream models. Truck models and models of other scales were more readily accepted in their history. Die cast needs all the help it can get, and I feel that including it in with the mainstream will be the most advantageous to its acceptance as a modeling medium.

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

Well put. I can remember not being too thrilled with die-cast initially, but once the quality & subject matter got up to speed, it's waaaay cool. Plus the aftermarket is starting up too and it must be supported. If you have a pet-project that can be done in metal, give it a shot.

I can't wait to see how much fun I can have with it.

Received my order from Corrupted Diecast. Not bad.... the wheels look great, as does the battery, MSD box, & fuel pumps. The mufflers will need a touch of work. The M-T Drag Radials are pretty nice. I have to dig out the body for a fit comparision, but I'd say it all looks good. Thanks Brian for nice parts & great service.

Most likely the next post on this topic will be in the WORKBENCH section.

DC_Cuda001-vi.jpg

DC_Cuda003-vi.jpg

DC_Cuda005-vi.jpg

DC_Cuda007-vi.jpg

John,

Glad you got the parts. Good luck with your build.On the mufflers, I think one just got turned in the package. The bottom side that gets seen should be clean. The top side that gets glued to the floor will always have issues, but it shouldn't show. Let me know if there's an issue and I'll hook you up. Whan are you gunna start on it?

I shoulda sent you the front tires I have with street tread. I didn't look at the picture when I was putting stuff together.

Edited by corrupteddiecasts

I'll drop the front runners in a shipping sleeve tomorrow. I'd like street tread. And your right about the mufflers. If I popped them out I would have easily seen it. All is good!

I'm hoping to start on the Barracuda next weekend. I want to finish it for NNL East. I've been away from shows for so long I figured I'd come back big.... ; )

Oh, yes deffinately looks like a fun car. I've got an 86 regal w/ 600hp SBC and NOS fogger(500hp) kit, and NOS (250hp) plate kit. It's a street car. Lots of fun. Yep. I sell them in sets. 1 tach 3 gauges, and 1 tach 6 gauges. They come with peel and stick decals for the gauges you want. Water temp, oil press, volts, fuel press, trans temp, boost. I think that's the ones I have. I can make others if they are needed. Do you have those valve covers? What distributer does it have? I can make those valve covers if needed.

I don't care for diecasts myself, but I'm perfectly happy to let others enjoy them without harrasment. I feel the same way about tuners, donks, lowriders, etc. But if others like them, go for it. I'm sure many people have little or no interest in my modeling preferences. Live and let live.