Model Cars Magazine Forum

A new project. JoHan 1966 Plymouth Fury Convertible

Ron Hamilton

I went into the basement, and revisited a JoHan 1966 Plymouth Fury III Convertible that I was restoring. It was a painted built-up that I got off of EBay several years ago. I was able to take it apart, and strip the Testors’ purple enamel paint pretty cleanly, but in removing the windshield, I broke the windshield frame. I was able to fix it and re-install it onto the body. The car was built as a drag racer, complete with the Hilborn Injected Hemi, a hole in the hood, a roll cage, mags, slicks, and a single driver’s seat. Other than the stock front and rear bumpers, and the up-top, there were no other parts included. So, I ordered some pieces from the Modelhaus (hood, hood ornament, steering wheel, and convertible boot). I was fortunate that a friend gave me a few parts from his old model building days, and in the parts, I was able to get the front and rear seats, and the wheel covers for this build, and I have a 440 V8 from my parts box, probably from a JoHan 1968 Chrysler 300.

Tonight, I cleaned up the old paint residue, removed the mould lines, blocked the body, and added the proper fender separation lines. I still have to fill in the sink marks in the trunk lid, and I will be ready for paint.

However, there is a slight dilemma in this build. Back in the day, when JoHan had the promo contract with Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge full-sized cars from 1964-1968 were representative of the main stream model line (Fury, Fury III, and Polara), and correct bench seat interiors, but the model kits were issued, they had bucket and console interiors from the sports models (Sport Fury, Polara 500), but the mainstream body trim and emblems. On the 1966 Plymouth, there has to be quite a bit of fabrication of new mouldings and emblems, as well as removing the kit emblems and sanding off the details.

Normally I try to build my models as a true Replica Stock, but I am going to do this one as a “budget” restoration project, using upgrade parts from the manufacturer. I am planning to do a “Sport Fury” interior, with a “Fury III” body, as I am not going to remove that beautiful JoHan body detailing. It will be a 440/Torqueflite car, in a nice color combination.

1966Chrysler300Convertible5.jpg

cool very different didnt know this was still abil to be found??lol - i used to have a real one(hard top)i put together as a kid with a 63 426 wedge motor painted red with red interior my freind that i worked with backed up ON it with a garbage truck - thats how i got a 71 charger R/T lol - it all worked out his uncle had been whanting my engin for his car for months anyway and my freind got a 79 trans am out of my car - he did have to take over payments though.