Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chossing the right airbrush gun

Guest Sickfish

I've tried all sorts of airbrushes, and after so many years now, I always come back to my work horses:

IMG_1463-vi.jpg

The Micron and the Eclipse are the best ABs in my opinion! Expensive, sure, but well worth it.

Dr... I hear ya ;-) I'm looking at getting the Kustom HTHP iwata... Heard its the bees knees of pro-airbrushes... & I might as well get the IS925 Compressor :-)

The Badger 200 is a good airbrush (see my review). Yes, you should get a compressor.

Don

Thanks Don. I checked out the review which was very informative. Now I just need to find me a cheap compressor until I can get much better with my AB. Then I will try to pick up one a much better one.

picked up the Badger Krome a couple weeks ago ,,, man is it nice !,, super smooth.

comes with a case, 2 different size needles,(0.21/0.33) and two cap/regulators, and 2 different crown choices.

and a quick disconnect adapter

plus that badger lifetime guarantee.replacement needles run about $12

$125

k001.jpg

Edited by scalenut

I use Testors little bottle paints (enamels) most of the time, about 99% of the time. I mix it 60% thinner and 40% paint. I set my air pressure at between 15-20 psi for painting. When I paint Alclad I set the air pressure at 10-15 psi. I've done it this way for many many years and have no problems. I also have less overspray this way. Now, I use an enamel reducer from the NAPA parts store to thin my paint. The paint dries to the touch in about 15 minutes. I haven't gotten around to using laquer thinner to thin enamels yet because that goes against what I was tought in school when thinning paint. Laquer thinner for laquer and enamel reducer for enamel. Some day I might try thinning enamel with laquer thinner if Donn can convence me. ;):P:D See ya Donn at our contest in March. :) Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a firm believer that,,if you want to get into airbrushing ....concentrate on getting the best compressor you can afford to fit your needs.<<<<FIRST

.........than start looking at airbrushes.

the op never mentioned what ..or.... if he even has a compressor ...if it's a tiny "hobby"one ... all the spraying enamel, yost style,,, advice goes out the window.

Exactly what you said X 2 Dan, I like the Testor's enamels. I need to go to NAPA to get some of that thinner. Do you have an invioice number for it? Thanks ahead of time if you do.

I don't have an invoice number but it is their brand of enamel reducer that I use. When i go down to the basement I'll look on the can and get the part number off of it and post it. Dan