Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Country Club" Hot Rod

GrandpaMcGurk

So there's this "deep pocket" hot rod guy that's a hardcore gear head............he also loves golf, but a loud, flame belching in your face hot rod just wouldn't fit in at the country club....right? So in his mind he sets out to build a " socially acceptable" rod.

Let's start with the frame..........

Some parts box bits, plastic strips etc. for the side rails, gas tank, battery box, coil spring buckets and we have the beginning of chassis.

ACCHR009.jpg

'68 Vette front and rear suspension.

ACCHR012.jpg

ACCHR013.jpg

ACCHR014.jpg

Long wheelbase huh?

Betcha can't guess what the body is going to be.

Here's a few more pics....most of the work on this build is going into the chassis. Very little of the Lindy "curbside" belly pan was suitable for this hot rod.

I'll be using an L-88 BB Chevy and 4-speed. Not sure yet if I'll go with a blower, turbo or dual quads.

ACCHR004.jpg

I'll probably use side pipes with cut outs as well as dual mufflers for "cruising" the country club.

ACCHR005.jpg

A little more filing, fitting, sanding and the chassis will be ready for paint.

ACCHR001.jpg

Nothing bugs me more than taking the time to drill holes, run plug wires, install the engine only to have a plug wire pull out of the head after the exhaust and everything else is attached. Besides, installing them one at a time is a pain. Here's what I've come up with to eliminate all that frustration.

I paint the head, drill the holes and select a proper size wire for the plug wires first. I try to use wire that has a smaller diameter than the wire that I use for battery cables so that the scale looks right.

Awiringh002.jpg

Cut 2 lengths of wire per head, use waterproof markers or paint to simulate the plug boots in the center of the wires.

Awiringh003.jpg

Slip one end of the wire into the first hole and the other end in the second hole.

Awiringh004.jpg

Awiringh005.jpg

Presto......4 plug wires with boots. If I wanted to detail the head even more I'd slip a short length of slightly larger wire insulation over the plug wire and push it down flush with the head instead of painting the center section.

Awiringh006.jpg

A little touch up on the boots and these heads will be ready to permanently attach to the block.

NO WAY are these wires going to pull out!

Awiringh007.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

You guys are more than welcome.......glad it's something you can use.

Now I'll see if I can figure out a builder friendly (or at least easier) way to wire the distributor cap.

I get so caught up in details at times that I tend over look the K.I.S.S. principal.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Virgil, I figured when I retired I'd have all kinds of time to work on models...yeah right!

About the only time I get for fun builds is sandwiched in-between "FINALLY" getting these 1/8th glass Cuda bodies done, yard work, my full size toys, SMC, F.A.S.T club, other hobbies and keeping up with the old womans honey dew list........I think I had more time when I working full time.

Top all that off with the fact that like the old saying goes...."the faster I go, the behind-er I get".

Oh well, where did I put that kit distributor?

Adist012.jpg

Ahhh.....here it is.

Man this thing is tiny....I suppose I could drill 8 tiny holes for the plug wires, one for the coil wire and oh yeah, another for the vacuum advance with a cat hair drill bit.

That's assuming I had rock steady hands, 10x magnifying eyeballs and the patience of a saint.

I'll be 65 this year and I really don't qualify for any of the above. Large scale wouldn't be a problem but in 1/25th I had to come up with something less stressful that looked good......after all, supposed to be fun right?

Adist013.jpg

I think it'll be easier to make my own. Next post I'll show how I did it.

Paul, there may be better ways out there or some that suit your building style more, all I'm doing is showing the way I do it. If it works for you you're welcome to it.

Here's an easy way out if you use a magneto rather than a distributor...all I do is drill one hole through the top of the mag and run the wires through it. If you look at a few pics of magnetos you'll see that the wires come out of the sides rather than up and this is close enough for me with these 1/25th models.

Adistmag016.jpg

Adistmag015.jpg

Well, let's get started on this distributor.

I grabbed a piece of tubing from the stock stash about the same O.D. as the kit distributor.

Adistmag017.jpg

As you can see it's fairly thick walled so I drilled it out a little and moved up to a slightly larger bit and thinned it out some more. I started with a smaller bit first so that I wouldn't split the tubing.

Adistmag018.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

I wanted to see if I could come up with something to give the valve covers on this engine an anodized look on the cheap.

I've tried candies over "chrome" paint etc. and never been real happy with the results. I'm not using an airbrush or any expensive stuff on this build, just rattle cans etc. to keep it within our current economy crunch hobby budgets.

Here's something I came across at Wally world......

Accdetail007.jpg

Disregarding the can directions about polished stuff and all that other info that we men don't read anyway.......I grabbed some stock "kit" bow tie chome plated covers out of the parts box.

Accdetail004.jpg

Sprayed a couple of tests and was pleased with the results so I painted the Moroso covers I'll be using for this build.

Several light coats of the paint with a couple of minutes dry time in between coats followed by a coat of clear the next day produced these....these large photos really don't show just how much the "chrome" shows through the paint and being windy and raining outside I can't take pics out in the sunlight, but they really POP, I think you'll get the idea.

Accdetail006.jpg

Accdetail005.jpg