Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

It is almost summertime, time for orange barrels

With warm weather the highways will be infested with orange barrels and orange trucks...

summersceneoange.jpg

After 16 days of not having anything on my workbench, I got some inspiration while following a road crew painting the lines on the highways .

No, not the painting truck but the truck shadowing the workers with the big crash attenuator hanging off the back.

I got the idea last Saturday morning and as soon as I got home I dug out an AMT Ford Stake Truck and sifted through the parts boxes to find a tandem axle suspension (from an IH Paystar), then scratchbuilt the attenuator using various photos that I Googled.. and then scratchbuilt the arrow sign from plastic.

C6stakeRhRr.jpg

I stripped all the chrome from the kit except on the mirror heads, headlamps, turnsignals and roof lights. I also shaved off the FORD and badge from the front to allow for a smooth surface for the black chevrons.

C6stake.jpg

I need to clean my reference marks off the bumper.. (oops).

Back in the mid 70's I remember seeing road maint. trucks in Wisconsin with the multiple stripes emblazoned on the front of the cabs. I've always wanted to try the all stripes look.

C6stakerear.jpg

I really took artistic liberties on the crash attenuator and the arrow sign

C6signbox.jpg

C6signrear.jpg

The little Ford kit builds nicely, however, I always have a problem with mounting the engine. The instructions are very vague on the proper mounting.

This is the third version of this kit I have built

samekitsthesethree.jpg

I converted one kit to a Mack N series COE, another into a tandem axle tractor with a sleeper-and some fancy trim, and now the "shadow" truck.

More photos on www.timstrucks.com

Thanks for looking!

Tim

PS: You'll note I had to sneak a Peterbilt into the photos..

These little dioramas really do add something special to the trucks. Helps to bring them to life. I always look forward to seeing the photo's of your next build and this is no exception. Its great to see the ideas and what you have achieved with a simple kit and some pieces of plastic from the scrap box.

Great Work Tim!!