Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bending Chrome Pieces

So I have a chrome piece that I would like to bend a little to make it into a custom piece. Is there a way to do this "safely" without damage to the chrome finish or to the part itself? maybe I will need to make a part myself out of something to substitute it. Any thoughts?

You can only bend styrene so far before it cracks. And you can only bend a plated part so far before the plating either wrinkles or cracks. And depending on what sort of part you're talking about (what shape, how much bend needed, where on the part does the bend go, etc.)... the amount of bend it'll accept varies.

You could try dipping the area of the part to be bent in really hot water to heat it up enough so that it'll bend how you want it to bend. Or use a hair dryer to heat it up, but the trick is to heat up just the area that you want to bend without distorting the whole part.

Yeah I was kinf of figuring there might be issues like that. Well this may allow me to really be creative. I dont need to bend it much at all but I do think that it might be more than what it will let me do. I have a couple ideas how I can still pull off the look im going for so we will see how that pans out. :) thank you for the advice and the warnings. :)