Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilding Project: 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. Help first

Drago

Hi guys!

I’m about to start a very nice project: a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. But first, I must ask for help…

Is it Chevy Caprice (Yellow Cab/Chief Department) the most appropriated kit for this project?

And if yes, which is the most important things to pay attention? What are the modifications that I’ll have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Guest Davkin

From what I can tell the Fleetwood was based on the B-body platform which is what the Caprice is, so the Revell '94 Impala SS would be a good start.

That's quite an ambitous project, good luck with that.

David

Hi guys!

I’m about to start a very nice project: a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. But first, I must ask for help…

Is it Chevy Caprice (Yellow Cab/Chief Department) the most appropriated kit for this project?

And if yes, which is the most important things to pay attention? What are the modifications that I’ll have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Needs to be stretched, of course, as the Fleetwood Brougham was a longer wheelbase car (similar to Olds 98 and Buick Roadmaster). Reshaping the rear of the roof will be the biggest challenge, probably sheet styrene work there. Side windows will be different, of course, but windshield, hood and front fenders are the same as the Caprice.

Have fun! Did this one in resin back in 1994.

Biscuitbuilder

Started with an ALL AMERICAN Resin Limo and cut out the center section ! Then rear added Together !

000_3012.jpg

After this was done it was reworked and then sent off to be casted ! But i gut a few bad resin bodies from SCALELOW.COM ! They need work really bad and were given to me to build ! So I did ! Heres a few project shots !

000_3054.jpg

after body work and primer !

000_3117.jpg

and here it is finished !

000_3469.jpg

Needs to be stretched, of course, as the Fleetwood Brougham was a longer wheelbase car (similar to Olds 98 and Buick Roadmaster). Reshaping the rear of the roof will be the biggest challenge, probably sheet styrene work there. Side windows will be different, of course, but windshield, hood and front fenders are the same as the Caprice.

Have fun! Did this one in resin back in 1994.

Biscuitbuilder

Actually the '77-96 Caprice/'77-85 Impala/94-96Impala SS were based on the same B-body Fullsize RWD Platform(With Year and Era updating) as the '91-96 Buick Roadmasters. The Roadmasters were slighly boxed design was, with the interior space reconfigured, but exterior length shortened a bit as apposed to the Caprice/Impala's.

As for the Cadillac Fleetwood's, they were based on the same B-Body Body Structure as a Basis, then were slightly widened, as well as boxed, and stretched. The 93-96 Fleetwood's had an extended frame was designated D-body, as it was longer than the previous already strecthed '77-91 Fleetwood C-body Platform(Based originally on the '77-90 B-Body Frame, then up dated to the 91-96 Configuration with the '93-96 Body Changes).

Oldsmobile 98's deviated from the 1977-1984 B-body Plaform, and went FWD from 1985- to their demise in 1996. Now Oldsmobile's Custom Cruiser Wagon stayed on the B-body path from 1977- till it's demise in 1992.